View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Good luck in your search for a rescue dog. Sounds like you've thought about it all and could offer a dog a great home.

My rescue was 5.5 years when I got her. Come August, we will have had her 4 years and it was the best thing we ever did. She is outstanding in every way, love her to bits. It certainly doesn't feel as if she has never been ours. It actually feels like she's been here for many more years than she actually has!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 07:43 PM
If you were in Scotland, and wanted a GSD, then we would definitely consider you - especially as you are prepared to employ the services of a dog walker when you are at work.

We also get dogs in rescue who are used to an owner who works full time and this would be the kind of dog we would be looking at placing in a home like yours.

As others have said, definitely try the smaller, local rescues as well as the breed specific rescues when you decide which breed (if not a crossbreed) you are interested in.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by cranberry1 View Post
Thank you for your reply. We are certainly looking at getting an adult dog, and would definitely consider an older dog. We know our situation wouldn't be fair on a puppy/young dog. I guess it's a case of finding a rescue that would rehome to us, and then finding a dog to suit our situation. I definitely feel more positive having read these replies though

Any advice on breeds/rescues/first time dog ownership greatly appreciated!
To be honest, I don't think you can go far wrong with a lab as a first dog. They're usually biddable, gentle and intelligent - willing to do as much exercise as you want but seem happy to lay at your feet as well. The only drawback is that they do have a reputation for wanting to eat anything and everything!

You really need to decide some basic guidelines - how much exercise you want to do, whether you might like to do some kind of sport or are just happy pottering around the park, what sort of size you want, whether you're prepared for mud and hair everywhere, etc etc
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Why not rescue a greyhound. They are used to be left for long periods of time in thier kennels and just like to sleep most of the day away anyway.
They are very easy dogs to please and very affectionate and good natured.
Most rescues state a dog must not be left for more than 4 hours, but if you explain on the days you are out of the house most of the day a dog walker will be coming in then in essence the dog won't be left more than 4 hrs.
I have had many breeds over the years and wish I had discovered greyhounds years ago as they are so uncomplicated.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Yes, it is sad when we are putting dogs to sleep for lack of homes, that some rescues would turn down a good home as you describe. As long as the dog gets some kind of a break every 4-5 hours through the day, it shouldn't be a problem. Too bad there are programs that isn't good enough for.

I am pleased with a number of the posts in this thread.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 05:43 AM
I work full time and was turned down by one of the smaller rescues.....
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 06:57 AM
we wouldn't have a problem with you, for the right dog
cranberry1
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
So should I limit my search to smaller rescues in my area, or would any rescue consider rehoming out of area? I have contacted a couple and heard nothing. I can't seem to find many in my area who would consider full time workers.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 05:42 PM
try your area first, and then work out. one rescue may pass you on to another until you find one that is suitable for you, dont give up. I ended up with michael as I went to 'look' at a less reputable rescue and they didnt do home checked, perfect for me as i new i would make it work no matter what, once i take an animal on they are part of the family, i just needed to pursuade my fella as he had no idea until he came home and there he was lol.
ATD x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by cranberry1 View Post
So should I limit my search to smaller rescues in my area, or would any rescue consider rehoming out of area? I have contacted a couple and heard nothing. I can't seem to find many in my area who would consider full time workers.
If they haven't actually said no (i.e. just not got back to you), keep trying until you speak to them. Rescues priority is to make sure the dogs are fed, watered and exercised and that their kennels are clean. After that, the priority is usually trying to get funds in so that they can feed and provide health treatment to the animals. And then they have to find the time to get back to possible homes. So, don't take it personally, just accept that with limited resource phoning you back may be quite far down the list.

Have a look on dog pages (all one word) co uk - I can't provide a link because they have their own dog forum, but they have links to rescues by area, they have lists of breed rescues and they have forums with private rehomings etc.

Some rescues will rehome outside their area - each will have their own policies (and the same for rehoming to workers).
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >