View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 10:45 PM
I bought Dice and took him home with me but it's slightly different as I knew his breeder well and she rang me as she knew I wanted a dog to show.
When Im selling I always meet them first when the pups are 4 weeks and then keep in touch until the pups are ready to go. Because two of the last litter went local they came every sunday to see the babes.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Yep I've done it. My first two were rescue dogs,my third I first saw at nine days and then weekly until I bought her home at 6 weeks. My young dog kyp came from a breeder in Scotland and as I'm based in Essex it's a bit far for regular commutes. I had been following the owner of his dad for a while via her web site and was impressed with what I saw. When I saw kyps 5 week photo on her website I knew he was the one for me,so two weeks later I caught a train to Scotland,complete with a puppy carrier and travelled back the same day with puppy carrier full. I would have no hesitation doing it again as he is one in a million.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
Yep I've done it. My first two were rescue dogs,my third I first saw at nine days and then weekly until I bought her home at 6 weeks. My young dog kyp came from a breeder in Scotland and as I'm based in Essex it's a bit far for regular commutes. I had been following the owner of his dad for a while via her web site and was impressed with what I saw. When I saw kyps 5 week photo on her website I knew he was the one for me,so two weeks later I caught a train to Scotland,complete with a puppy carrier and travelled back the same day with puppy carrier full. I would have no hesitation doing it again as he is one in a million.
But did you have any contact with the breeder of Kyp apart from arranging to get pup?
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I bought Dice and took him home with me but it's slightly different as I knew his breeder well and she rang me as she knew I wanted a dog to show.
When Im selling I always meet them first when the pups are 4 weeks and then keep in touch until the pups are ready to go. Because two of the last litter went local they came every sunday to see the babes.
Yeah that is different situation. I am more annoyed at breeders who just let a pup go as soon as a prospective owner appears at their door as to me that comes under the bad breeder title
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Very True I started this thread as it amazes me how many stories I have heard from people who just read an advert, phoned and then viewed and brought home a pup. To me that would be a big No No for they are not good breeders imo as selling to anyone imo
Not necessarily,, you can vet prospective owners when they come to view. You dont have to sell to them. In an ideal world you have got a waiting list. If not once pups born you will advertise your pups, vet prospective owners at that stage, speak to them again and take a deposit, and so on so that by the time it comes round for the pups to go home you should be pretty sure of who gets your pups.

Even the best and most thorough of breeders can make errors in judging prospective owners.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Even the best and most thorough of breeders can make errors in judging prospective owners.
This is why in my opinion a deposit should never be taken.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi
The only contact I had was a few emails, I'd never spoken too her and didn't know anyone who knew her. I wanted a pup to train for agility but because of the lines within agility being more and more closely related decided to look elsewhere. I liked her ethics on breeding and decided to throw caution to the wind. Thank goodness it didn't backfire!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
This is why in my opinion a deposit should never be taken.
A deposit isnt legally binding, its just that, a deposit Personally speaking I have never been asked to give a deposit but I know those who have. I think some folk think it cuts down on time wasters.

Its whatever suits.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
A deposit isnt legally binding, its just that, a deposit Personally speaking I have never been asked to give a deposit but I know those who have. I think some folk think it cuts down on time wasters.

Its whatever suits.
A deposit is legally binding so i hear..and if i put a deposit down on a pup and was then told i wasnt allowed pup by the breeder, i could take said breeder through the courts and would more than likely win
Animals arent seen as animals in the eyes of the law, and when selling them its just the same as selling/buying a tv, fridge, freezer, cooker ect..you put the deposit down and its yours as both seller and buyer have entered an agreement !!!....
(ps - i started a thread about this a second ago)
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
A deposit is legally binding so i hear..and if i put a deposit down on a pup and was then told i wasnt allowed pup by the breeder, i could take said breeder through the courts and would more than likely win
Animals arent seen as animals in the eyes of the law, and when selling them its just the same as selling/buying a tv, fridge, freezer, cooker ect..you put the deposit down and its yours as both seller and buyer have entered an agreement !!!....
(ps - i started a thread about this a second ago)
Yep, I know, I answered it too.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2