View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Next time around, I would change from the frontline to Advocate, Advantage or the Stronghold coz those will get rid of mites along with the fleas, and quite honesly, down here at least, all the vets seem to recommend the above now and never use Frontline, maybe that's because the little critters have found a way of being immune from it now?

With Georgie and his itching the only thing that really worked is the Fuciderm (from the vets), it would clear the bald, angry, hotspot up in a day and he'll leave it alone, but of course you'd have to ask your vet about that one. Apart from that I've used the Vit E cream which seems to calm things down, or Sudocreme, but of course, the Sudocreme is only really a barrier cream and won't do much healing I don't think?!

You could try a bowl of warm water with some hibiscrub frothed up, give it a good wash, it'll kill just about everything it touches, rinse it off and see how that goes?

Another good thing to use is the Antibacterial powder, once it's nice and clean and DRY, coz you really need to be keeping it dry (use a bit of kitchen towel which will soak up any excess water too!) and the powder will do the rest, and it also heals, I found it invaluable for my recent injury toZena's carpal pad, it really has worked wonders and is highly recommended for skin problems. P@H do it, I got mine in there.

Good luck, you don't want this to get outofhand coz it can end up a nightmare like Georgie's been for 6 years for me! If you do suspect anal glands then give a raw carrot after a meal and they will keep them nice and clean and empty! Good luckLynne.xxx
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Probably worth getting anal glands checked if you haven't already done so. One of my dogs was biting around the base of his tail & back leg. The biting stopped when his anal glands were emptied.
I've found Neem shampoo to be very effective to break an itch-scratch cycle if it's a hot-spot type of irritation. Our rehome had his knee red/angry nibbling & licking at it so I shampoo'd his leg every day for the first few days then once or twice a week for a couple of weeks after that. It stopped him nibbling from first application & it hasn't returned in nearly 2 yrs.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 05:39 PM
thanx for all the advice. someone said fox mange. so ill mention it to the vets.
ive got the hibi scrub.which im using on sir.
was going through the back end combing him ect. and found he had been chewing at his tail. he cant get to his back so the tail it was instead.
its an ongoing battle witch has been going on for over a year.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Well if it's not the anal glands Lynne, try and get some of that Fuciderm from the vet, it will clear it all up in one day - trust me I know with Georgie and his nightmare hot spots! Good luck.xxx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2