View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 03:56 AM
Might be OT but was reading the other day and they talked about how good chick peas were for you, I guess you would already know about hem but thought I would share this site with you as it also has some good receipes in it.
Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon

http://vegetarian-recipes.suite101.c...with_chickpeas
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
It made a friend of mine very ill, she ended up in hospital, her organs were shutting down as the food was not feeding her properly. She was a veggie already, but now eats meat and she says has never felt better. Guess it suits some and not others.
Do you remember what she was deficient in at all? As I am keen to avoid pitfalls and you can learn something new everyday

Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Yes a was a veggie and again not a healthy one of them, i think it is a very healthy diet if you do it right, i didnt and so did not give my body what it needs, you on the other hand sound as though you are doing it well and so i think you will get some good results!
I think I was always a very healthy vegetarian but I have become a lazy one. So this is to give me a kick up the bum and do my own cooking from scratch again and get rid of any processed stuff I was eating. I am hoping it will get rid of some weight and give me some much needed energy again

Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
Might be OT but was reading the other day and they talked about how good chick peas were for you, I guess you would already know about hem but thought I would share this site with you as it also has some good receipes in it.
Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon

http://vegetarian-recipes.suite101.c...with_chickpeas
Emma, you have made my day, thank you! I used to have a receipe for chickpea and spinach curry but lost it and there is one on the link, I shall be trying that this week!! I didn't think I ate much dairy but judging by the withdrawl from it I obviously did. All input is gratefully received, people always think of things that you had long forgotten about!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Are you getting enough iron? Some breakfast cereals are fortified with iron but dried apricots have iron too.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Vegans need to make sure they get B12 as meat is a good source of that. Think Spirulina (vegan-friendly) is too although it is debated whether it is the correct form or not.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Do you remember what she was deficient in at all? As I am keen to avoid pitfalls and you can learn something new everyday

I think I was always a very healthy vegetarian but I have become a lazy one. So this is to give me a kick up the bum and do my own cooking from scratch again and get rid of any processed stuff I was eating. I am hoping it will get rid of some weight and give me some much needed energy again

Emma, you have made my day, thank you! I used to have a receipe for chickpea and spinach curry but lost it and there is one on the link, I shall be trying that this week!! I didn't think I ate much dairy but judging by the withdrawl from it I obviously did. All input is gratefully received, people always think of things that you had long forgotten about!
I think B12 was one of them, and possibly calcium from memory. I know she said the nutritionists at the hospital had said that she couldnt get B12 from the veggies she was eating alone. I think she had kidney problems because of it too, Im fairly sure it was the fluid intake that caused it but Im not sure. She also had very bad skin problems, like a reoccurance of the acne she had as a teenager.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-02-2010, 03:35 PM
There's actually plenty of calcium in veg - but I guess it depends on what kind of non-meat diet she was on (you have to be eating greens).
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 04:38 PM
It made a friend of mine very ill, she ended up in hospital, her organs were shutting down as the food was not feeding her properly. She was a veggie already, but now eats meat and she says has never felt better. Guess it suits some and not others.

That is like me, I was vegan for 6 months and felt really awful and ill, plus TBH bored with not being able to eat out easily, or at friends houses. Then went to being a Veggie for a long time. But, switched to eating meat again a few years ago, and I have never felt better, I only eat organic meat, and not every day. I do think it suits some people, and not others. These days, I am a everything in moderation type of person, and feel healthier for it.

Good luck with your Detox though xxx
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Are you getting enough iron? Some breakfast cereals are fortified with iron but dried apricots have iron too.
I am hoping that I have iron covered with breakfast cereals and fortified soya milk. I also love spinach!!!! But I will give some dried apricots a go too thank you

I think B12 was one of them, and possibly calcium from memory. I know she said the nutritionists at the hospital had said that she couldnt get B12 from the veggies she was eating alone. I think she had kidney problems because of it too, Im fairly sure it was the fluid intake that caused it but Im not sure. She also had very bad skin problems, like a reoccurance of the acne she had as a teenager.
Calcium I am happy I have covered but B12 I have just been researching and I have no way of getting this without a supplement of some description so thank you I have looked into that and am now making sure I get some

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Vegans need to make sure they get B12 as meat is a good source of that. Think Spirulina (vegan-friendly) is too although it is debated whether it is the correct form or not.
It is also debated now whether it contributes to B12 deficiency I have been reading! There are a few supplements for me to have a look at. The most effective is a tablet you place under your tongue to melt!! So I will be looking into making a purchase there. Glad to say I don't feel so tired today
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2