Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by stanfan View Post
Have never used long line, whats the best way to use it? Sorry if that a stupid question lol.

That a great idea with the treat, def going to do that.

you are all brill you know!!! Thanks
I can't take credit for the treat thing...my friend/trainer told me to do it and it works really well...the dogs sit listening to me tell them how lovely they are (and people look at me like I'm daft) whilst being fed teeny bits of food. She calls it 'gourmet dining' rather than 'fast food'

With a longline you have more control...I hold Tango's unless there is nothing coming on the horizon then I drop it. The aim is you can grab the longline or stand on it should they disappear into the sunset...I am not coordinated enough to either jump on it or grab it.. So I hold it, but make sure I wear gloves!!!! Tango is exercised (IMO) just as well on a longline as she is offlead...it is just safer as she is so dog distracted...she has come on in leaps an bounds though.
It's really important you pop him in a harness though...and don't walk him on a longline on the pavements. You can get lots of different lengths...some have a handle at the end some don't. We have started Tango with a 10 foot I think...but in other places she is on a longer one than that, depends where we are. Word of advice...take a carrier bag to pop it in at the end of the walk. You never know what it is going to run through......(Tango is very good at peeing on hers too...)
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I can't take credit for the treat thing...my friend/trainer told me to do it and it works really well...the dogs sit listening to me tell them how lovely they are (and people look at me like I'm daft) whilst being fed teeny bits of food. She calls it 'gourmet dining' rather than 'fast food'

With a longline you have more control...I hold Tango's unless there is nothing coming on the horizon then I drop it. The aim is you can grab the longline or stand on it should they disappear into the sunset...I am not coordinated enough to either jump on it or grab it.. So I hold it, but make sure I wear gloves!!!! Tango is exercised (IMO) just as well on a longline as she is offlead...it is just safer as she is so dog distracted...she has come on in leaps an bounds though.
It's really important you pop him in a harness though...and don't walk him on a longline on the pavements. You can get lots of different lengths...some have a handle at the end some don't. We have started Tango with a 10 foot I think...but in other places she is on a longer one than that, depends where we are. Word of advice...take a carrier bag to pop it in at the end of the walk. You never know what it is going to run through......(Tango is very good at peeing on hers too...)
We're going to get him a harness, I hate it when he gets to the end of the lead and end up throwing myself forward to cushion the impact for him
Will have a look at some long lines though as think this going to be the best option, he is just soooo pleased to see everyone he loses all his faculties but we are working on that.

Incidentally he was wonderul on this mornings walk, hope that mood continues as its dog training class tonight!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 09:33 AM
We're going to get him a harness, I hate it when he gets to the end of the lead and end up throwing myself forward to cushion the impact for him
Will have a look at some long lines though as think this going to be the best option, he is just soooo pleased to see everyone he loses all his faculties but we are working on that.

Incidentally he was wonderul on this mornings walk, hope that mood continues as its dog training class tonight!!!

I am sure you will sort him in no time at all, sounds like it just all needs a bit of reinforcing..may be worth getting him to focus on a toy when you are out as someone else suggested? Handy hints for that...always take two (then he can't run off with it and play at 'catch me') and only ever let him have the walk toy on a walk,never around the house, take it away from him at the end of the walk He will put more value on it then and start to associate the walk with playing with it with you!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/longline.php

Have a look at that, there is a vid on there too (which I admit I haven't watched!)
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post

I am sure you will sort him in no time at all, sounds like it just all needs a bit of reinforcing..may be worth getting him to focus on a toy when you are out as someone else suggested? Handy hints for that...always take two (then he can't run off with it and play at 'catch me') and only ever let him have the walk toy on a walk,never around the house, take it away from him at the end of the walk He will put more value on it then and start to associate the walk with playing with it with you!
You are a mine of useful information lol
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 11:40 AM
You are a mine of useful information lol
My OH says I am a mine of useless information...so it makes a pleasant change to have that said!!!
Hope the handy hints help in some way

Just wanted to add...he sounds adorable.
I had a FCR that was just the same...he got it in the end, just takes time and patience and consistency

I LOVE Boxers.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Try www.snugglepets.co.uk for BRILLIANT soft, fleece harnesses. I use them for my girls and love them. Quick delivery too. One of these would be perfect with a long line.
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2010, 04:15 PM
They look fab harnesses, will definately have a better look later when I have bit more time, thanks for the heads up
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 06:41 PM
if you go to the website i put at the bottom pf my forst post there is a video showing you how to use a long line
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
if you go to the website i put at the bottom pf my forst post there is a video showing you how to use a long line
Excellent, will check it out, thanks
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2