Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Agreed, I was uncomfortable watching how uncomfortable the dog was feeling. That bite was on the cards for several minutes before it was delivered. It was completely the handler's fault. His job is to protect his dog and he failed. And all that nonsense about bite force! The reporter barely got scratched. Like others have said if the dog wanted to hurt him it could have taken his face off.
I completely agree, the dog handler should have noticed the dog's reactions way, way before that reporter bent down and patted it on it's HEAD that's a big no, no with a shepherd when it doesn't know you, and know you very well in fact!!! Why was the dog handler focused on the reporter anyways, when he should have been focused on HIS dog, afterall, he had only just got the dog himself, even HE didn't know the dog very well.

Having had shepherds all my life, I would have been watching my dog's reactions to that reporter from the very minute he stepped forward, let alone letting him crouch down next to him like that before he's got to know him properly! I wouldn't let anybody do that to mine, and they're only pets, not a fully trained up police dog!

Yeah, I saw this the other day too in another thread.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 07:41 PM
its shocking the handler didnt see it coming, the dog gave lots of signals that it was unhappy,
the reporter was almost on top of the dog, he couldnt keep his balance well and kept coming up and forward into the dog while giving eye contact,

silly mistake from the handler they are lucky the consiquenses were not far worse.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
...I agree. I think the dog exercised a heck of a lot of restraint.
The dog could have killed that man in one bite no problem!

Laura, have you seen my thread on UK Police Dogs? Im interested in how they train them.
TC - I did see your other thread re police dogs training but I don't know wnough to be able to help you. I do still ahve contacts with West Mids Police though so I could get some info if you need/want it.

I was an Officer with West Mids Police for 6 years and although I did quite a lot of work at one time with the dogs and their handlers, I was never invovled in their training. I used to go and watch them when they all trained together but that was sort fo a privilege thing set up by one of the senior officers I worked with.

There was a basic rule though - even for me also being a uniformed officer. DON'T TOUCH THE DOG! It's not difficult and the dog was working. it mwant that both the dog and myself were kept safe. if we went to any "blue light" jobs the dog absolutely HAD to be allowed out of the car before I was. I didn't question it. I did as I was told. At the end of the day a police dog is also an officer and they are trained and work ina certain way. Human officers shoudl respect that far more than the numpty officer on the clip.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I completely agree, the dog handler should have noticed the dog's reactions way, way before that reporter bent down and patted it on it's HEAD that's a big no, no with a shepherd when it doesn't know you, and know you very well in fact!!! Why was the dog handler focused on the reporter anyways, when he should have been focused on HIS dog, afterall, he had only just got the dog himself, even HE didn't know the dog very well.

Having had shepherds all my life, I would have been watching my dog's reactions to that reporter from the very minute he stepped forward, let alone letting him crouch down next to him like that before he's got to know him properly! I wouldn't let anybody do that to mine, and they're only pets, not a fully trained up police dog!

Yeah, I saw this the other day too in another thread.
Helena - Very well put I thought. I've grown up with GSD adn to be honest I think they're one of the easiest dogs to "read" given how expressive they are. Even if the reported hadn't noticed the signals the dog was giving off, the handler, who shoul dhave been fully trained in dog handling should've spotted them straight away.

Laura xx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
I think the reporter deserved what he got. Sorry if that sounds harsh but to approach a strange dog, put both hands on it (particularly around it's neck) and then lean over it is asking for trouble; even moreseo when the police officer said he was still getting to know the dog.
i dont think he did deserve it, i actually felt sorry for him. it was the handlers fault, the reporter might have no experience with dogs so to expect him to understand how to behave around them is a bit much. he should have been told, and the handler should have stepped in at the first sign of the dog being uncomfortable.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-01-2010, 07:24 AM
would like to add another point - its a very good example also about how tension travels down the lead, look at the handlers body language, especially how his right hand is holding the lead and the tension in his right arm

the handler is clearly agitating the dog
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2