Chloe
Dogsey Senior

12-07-2004, 12:41 PM
How is he with the other dog Ash?
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Very Hard to tell Chloe, We don't have off leash places over here, well not that I know of anyway.
But When I have taken him to Obedience he pulls on the lead to get to other dogs, but only sniffs and then wants to play.

Ashley...
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

12-07-2004, 01:03 PM
I meant with the Boerbel pup - how does he get on with him?
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2004, 08:53 PM
He is very good with the pup.
The first few days, he growled at the pup and would not share his toys or anything.
Now they play tug of war with the toys, or anything they can find..
When they are eating, the pup always finishes first, goes and sits by Zues's bowl and paws at him asking to share. But knows not to stick his head in there.
When they are inside they both share a single bed matress, and they lay with their head on each other.
Every so often, If the pup does something wrong, Zues will do to the pup what he did to Josh. Growl and snap.

Take Care
Ashley...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by Ash
When they are eating, the pup always finishes first, goes and sits by Zues's bowl and paws at him asking to share. But knows not to stick his head in there.
If there is any chance that, at the moment, Zues is regarding your son as another pup I would be very wary about allowing Josh to put his hand in the food bowl. Have your son offer the dog treats or bits of kibble by hand but with the dog in a position where he can see & understand what is happening - not when his head is down in his bowl and he is concentrating on his meal.

I believe that dogs should be left to eat in peace anyway, and while things remain unsettled it would be best to be cautious.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi not an expert here but I would suggest that maybe shadowboxer has hit the nail on the head Zeus considers your son to be another pup, and therefore he is allowed to chastise him.

I would alter a lot of what he is allowed to do such as sleeping in the childrens bedroom etc make him sleep downstairs etc,
sorry this has happened but as Chloe has already said we rehomed a stafford bitch for a short space of time and would have kept her but she "grumbled" at my niece who was then 2 /2 and that was it she was rehomed to a family without small children.

Karen
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2004, 02:42 PM
I agree with Kazz and Shadowboxer. He needs his priviledges taken away until you can be sure he'll get up and walk away instead of reacting. How is it going with him Ash?
Bon
Almost a Veteran

14-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I believe that dogs should be left to eat in peace anyway, and while things remain unsettled it would be best to be cautious.
I agree wholeheartly SB. I also don;t like to see children lay on dogs.
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Thank's Everyone very much for all the advice and support.

Just as I thought, I posted this message on about 5 different boards and this is the only board, where no body at all bagged me.

Its not a nice feeling, when you think you are doing everything right, or trying to, and then you get a heap of people telling you how Irresponsible you are, and all that your doing is wrong.

It actually makes you wonder if you are really worthy of owning dogs....

I have a guy coming down on Tuesday to have a look at Zues and see what he thinks.

Strange thing is, I asked him if he wanted Josh to be home, and see how Zues is with him.

And he said No need , I will be able to just look at the dog.
Fingers crossed

Thanks again

Take Care

Ashley...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ash
Just as I thought, I posted this message on about 5 different boards and this is the only board, where no body at all bagged me.Its not a nice feeling, when you think you are doing everything right, or trying to, and then you get a heap of people telling you how Irresponsible you are, and all that your doing is wrong. actually makes you wonder if you are really worthy of owning dogs....
It is so easy for those who are not involved to sit back & criticize. Do not think for a minute that you are not a "worthy owner". All along you have done the best for your dogs, and now that a problem has arisen you have been responsible enough to immediately seek the help and advice of, not only other dog owners, but of a professional behaviourist. You have done, and are doing, all that can be expected of a caring owner & parent.

I must say I am a bit surprised that the person you have consulted feels that there is no necessity to observe the interaction between Zeus & Josh - perhaps he just wants to evaluate the dog separately & will want to see them together at a later date.

I am still putting my money on the incident having been a totally instinctive reaction from Zeus at having been startled from sleep, with or without the addition of an accidental poke/prod from Josh.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I am correct.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >