View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2009, 08:49 PM
For those with an IQ above 50 that ask, fine.

You may want a smaller child to set and hand them the dog to lessen the chance of being dropped.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Glad to hear I'm not being an overprotective Mum!

Funny thing is that at home Gozo often asks me to pick him up for a fuss and he'll occasionally do it to other people he knows well, but I have to say of my 3 he is the least tolerant of strangers but I wouldn't have guessed how unhappy he'd be about it!!! I certainly know now and will make sure it doesn't happen again.

J.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:15 PM
My son (who has a warped sense of humour and is built like a brick outhouse) would pick up our large GSD when passing quaking owners with little dogs and march past saying `There there, dear, I won`t let it get near you`.
He was the only one who ever picked her up though.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I think i'd be incredibly annoyed if someone picked up my dog without asking - granted, it won't happen with Monty because he weighs around 28kg so good luck to them if they try!

Even when he was a small puppy it annoyed me when people just picked him up without asking.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My son (who has a warped sense of humour and is built like a brick outhouse) would pick up our large GSD when passing quaking owners with little dogs and march past saying `There there, dear, I won`t let it get near you`.
He was the only one who ever picked her up though.
oh i would have loved to see that! sounds so funny

i can just picture it... making me laugh
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 01:05 AM
hi,

I must've been very lucky then, unless where I live people had manners (I doubt it though). Even when Zane was first allowed out after his vaccinations, nobody ever tried to pick him up. A lot of people would stop and ask me about him and now with Zane on one side and Yiannis on the other whilst walking, they do turn heads.

I'd love to see someone try to pick Zane up now though. At over 50Kg (not because he's fat but he's so big) i think they'd have a bit of a problem.

Laura xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Deserves the man right!!! No one picks my dogs up but me or my O/H and only for a good reason. He would have been terrified thinking WTF.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Well your post made me smile I have to say.

I think he was wrong not to ask whether it was ok.

However older Foster children have picked up these of ours when at the vets etc., to put them on the table (being helpful) without asking me, but these don;t bother about people picking them up.

Fortunately my eldest son's JRT doesn;t seem to bother either if the the Foster children do it (seems to make allowances for them) but I know she would if a person in the park tried it
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 07:04 AM
How completely and utterly wrong of him.
I'm not surprised he got a "meet my teeth" Serves him right.
Your dog's a living being, with likes and dislikes, not a parcel to be picked up at whim! Perhaps the man will think next time.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 08:13 AM
I'd like to see the person who could pick Marius up easily!!!

Seriously - if I had a small dog I would definitely object to anyone picking it up without permission. What a cheek!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >