View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Fudge has a terrible time of it and even associates the dark with firweorks the rest of the year round. She has developed severe moise phobia as a result of this too. As a pup and young dog she was absolutely fine but then her second November 5th we were outside seemingly after it had all finished and the guy at the bottom of the garden let off a huge bang. It terrified her and this is where it all started.

We use a Dap diffuser, DAP collar,valerian and are about to embark on a sound sensitisation regime . We aslo set up various dens around the house so that she has safe places to retreat to if she feels the need....
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I hate to be a killjoy but this thread makes me quite angry.

Fireworks can be really beautiful and exciting when done professionally, but I find it hard to square that with the vast number of animals that become so distressed by them.

Surely one day a year is ample, and only proper set-ups should be allowed to do displays and far away from houses.

No doubt a grumble that's been had and will be had countless times.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 10:13 AM
We will be starting the DAP diffuser this weekend...

Generally, the dogs don't mind actual fireworks night itself, as they are often out with us...

However, it's the random ones that are set off before and after the night itself, with no apparent fireworks party etc.
Curtains are closed, TV is on and we try not to make any fuss at all, just give the 'quiet' command if barking continues

Not a lot else we can do really!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Been having fireworks a few times a week for the past month or so
We are trying out calming collars this year.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Valerian and scullcap is great for nervous dogs, Dorwest herbs would be able to help with that x best started a couple weeks before the event ...
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Fortunately I have never had a dog that was frightened of fireworks etc (or cats for that matter). I often believe that if you try to "protect" your dogs/cats from the bangs i.e. start fussing them if they react it can actually bring on fear.

Just be calm and matter of fact around them when the bangs go off as though you hadn't noticed that would be my advice.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I used to have a very firework reactive dog - or in fact any loud noise, and his behaviour meant that all the other dogs became reactive.

Sadly I no longer have Morgan and my oldest at 14 is somewhat deaf, her lack of reaction (or ability to sleep through anything and everything) means that non of my younger dogs now bother about fire works at all and in fact will happily go outside and watch the pretty lights (and as i live in the centre of town there are a fair few of them - it started about 4 weeks ago here).

The worst mistake i ever made with Morgan was cuddling him whilst he was shaking and drooling and telling him it would all be ok - he knew i was lying because that sort of behaviour wasn't normal for me.

skullcap & valarian tablets, quite life/kalms, rescue remedy etc all work to some extent - but your dog is going to pick up quickly that you are anxious about his reaction to the fierworks if you tense up and react when one goes of - even so much as looking at him. Perhaps if your giving your dogs a herbal sedative a wee dose for yourself might not go amiss.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 01:06 PM
We had them recently for fair night & Tilly just barked her head off all evening - she wanted to go in the garden & bark at them. I think we will try the DAP too.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 09:04 PM
I dont react nor do I change their routine, they still go out for walks as usual I actually prefer this time of year as I can walk them in peace without any latchkey dogs roaming.
When Storm was alive quite a few years ago he used to play with the local male fox and I used to take him food out, in the end the fox associated fireworks with food and even on New Years Eve as soon as the fireworks started he would come onto the field facing my house to wait for his food. If a wild animal can learn positive association surely then your dogs can!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Only Charlie is fussed, the girls don't care a hoot, Star hasn't had a bonfire night yet. We don't fuss them and they don't react, Charlie will hide under the desk and pant a bit but nothing major, might sound cruel but if he starts pacing I tell him to go and lie down and behave and he does, and he calms down. My mum fussed and mollycoddled Sadie and she has gotten so bad that this year they are thinking of sedation.

Bear doesn't care either.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >