View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:34 PM
My Dally comes up in bumps about the size of a 10 pence if she touches nettles. They go down after couple of hours and don't seem to bother her unless they touch her face, then she jumps back quickly so I think that must hurt a bit.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
My boy jumps back if he puts his face into nettles (but he doesn't learn anything from it, he will do it again five minutes later) but he doesn't bother when they brush against his body so I suppose their fur must protect them but their eyes and nose get stung.
Jackpot
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:53 PM
My guy doesn't usually mind nettles (he'll happily scent mark against them!), but we've twice had to wade into a field with really small low ones to retrieve toys and both times he's been in extreme discomfort after, licking between his pads, so now I'm careful about where we go.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Oh they def do. Pepsi was in nettles the other day and came out with bumps all over her face. Like we would get if we touched them. She kept pawing at her face so i rubbed a doc leaf ona dn put a bit of savlon on when i got home, she seemed fine after that lol
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
i remember my poor old lurcher running through a load of nettles and screaming because he got stung so bad. his coat was very thin though and he was bald on his belly which may have been why he reacted. my jrt runs through nettles like they aren't there so i guess it depends on the dog and their coat thickness.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
It is worth rubbing them down with natures natural remedy for nettle stings, I always used the dock leaves, gave them a rub together first to get the best of the juice then straight onto the dog it really helps...I used to try to figure out ways to get the best from the leafs and thought about picking them and freezing them so I'd always have some lol, how sad was I ? x
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 03:52 PM
One of my yorkies had a bad reaction to nettles he had difficulty breathing and his body went very stiff, luckily we were in greenwich park and rushed him to the vets for an injection - vet said to keep him out of nettles as his reaction was very severe so no woods walking for him.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2