View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IHG
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-08-2009, 08:58 AM
We were worried about this too when we got BeauKita, but all is well now. Flobble (the Rabbit) has now been trained to leave her alone and not to chase her around the garden when she goes to sniff his food......
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Did your working Cocker have a high prey drive (sorry, have to ask as many working dogs are kept as pets)? If so, how did you manage the dogs drive whilst in contact with the Guineas?

It's the Garden bit that's worrying me with regards Guineas really, I can't get out of my head what Bonnie was like all those years ago.

And the images of Isla vole hunting on her walk this afternoon doesn't help much!
Suki killed my 1st rabbit in the garden she managed 2 open the hutch the rabbit had a heart attack she didnt hurt her jsut took chase
so i decided to bring em in so i could keep an eye on em more and tbh she was ok wiv em inside. she sat and watched themn for a few days staring at them i told her of for this
ATD x
carleyaves
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2009, 09:14 AM
we have gizmo the chinchilla. my late westie was never in the slightest interested in him however Bodhi the "springer" is mega interested and can hear you open the cage door from a mile away. don't know whether he would intentionally kill him but definately would chase him.
my mum has two parrots that wander around on the floor with her cocker spaniel and Murphy is not at all bothered. however Bodhi is fascinated by them and wouldn't trust him with them at all. (think however they would give him a good pecking if he got near them)
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I have Beardies and rats but they are never allowed in the same room if I'm not there and I would never let the dogs be in the room when rats were free. having said that Cava likes to watch the rats in the cage and they aren't bothered by him Beardie TV
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 09:47 AM
i'm seriously considering getting some chooks, a because i want the eggs, and be to use as a bit of a training aid with the woofas
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 09:49 AM
i'd personally go for rats over hamsters with dogs, dont know why, just think on the whole rat cages are more secure and substantial.
i think that it would take some time and training to get them to be relaxed about being in the same room.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I consider my Lab to be pretty low drive but I wouldn't trust him within 10ft of any rabbit or guinea pig. The last rabbit we had was barricaded in a Fort Knox style enclosure. There was no doubt it my mind that if he had the opportunity to get to her he would have killed her instantly. We had one very close accidental encounter with them...luckily I was in the garden when it happened.

So, no 'prey drive' pets for me for as long as I have dogs. I have Russian hamsters but they are caged and out of reach of the dogs.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Not sure Id call a Gundog high prey drive. I as you know have Terriers that work, I also have a Belgian Hare running free in the garden, they were also fine when I had 4 Ferrets.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 03:50 PM
my dogs dont have high prey drive but i have a rabbit and sadie(gsd) just ignores him totally. before we lost yoda he would cuddle for hours in the garden with the rabbit(he was ridiculously soft though!) sadie also shows no interest in my mums ferret but goes crazy for wild squirrals and rabbits, and birds for that matter.
ripley my 4 month old bc is a different story with the rabbit...im sure she means no harm but her herding instinct is so strong she just wants to herd the rabbit conastantly...at speed! which includes nipping so now rabbit is shut away apart from when the dogs are in the house, now ripley just stands eyeballing her through wire whenever shes out in the garden! i think she would give the rabbit a heart attack if left alone with him.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Hmmm, some pretty horrific stories there. Some nice ones too though.

I think if I do get some small furries I'll have to go for the indoor type. I'm not particularly worried about Isla and Oscar getting to the animal, more what sort of quality of life a high prey drive dog would have when faced with temptation 24/7?

That said I know a lot of people with Gundogs that rome around with chickens all day long without harming them.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >