Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
We had a very similar thing with our old GSD. She had times when her skin and coat where itchy and uncomfortable, we also noticed it was around her season. Once she was spayed it cleared up. I hope this works for you.
Thanks, so do I, would be great not to have to give her any drugs.
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
steroids are ok SHORT term in most cases,anyway was only trying to help
the a.t results were kind of standard then,what does your vet use when she has a 'flare up'?
my advice would be VERY HIGH levels of omega and gla(but i guess shes already being given that) it will help her skin in general and will also help if it is hormone related,and of course the spay
good luck
Thanks Tupacs, I wasnt having a go in any way, all advice is gratefully received, i just wanted to point out that steriods are particularly bad for peis and should be avoided if at all possible.

However, i do appreciate any advice you have
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi VV I have read there is a connection between atopic dermatitis and irregular oestrus cycles in bitches.

I have tried to find the paper on this but can't.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi VV I have read there is a connection between atopic dermatitis and irregular oestrus cycles in bitches.

I have tried to find the paper on this but can't.
Really? Thanks Mini, thats very interesting, looks like i'm going to be up all night, seeing what i can find.

If you ever come across it would love to have a read
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Really? Thanks Mini, thats very interesting, looks like I'm going to be up all night, seeing what i can find.

If you ever come across it would love to have a read
...I can't find it again VV, I read it a while back when looking for some information on atopic dermatitis for a friend , it was a PDF file .

I spotted this on a breed site ...

Hormonal changes can trigger autoimmune disease, and for this reason it is wise to avoid giving vaccinations before (30 days before expected onset) during or immediately after a bitch’s estrus (heat) period.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=e...llergy&f=false

Poor Amy. This one mentions abnormal oestrus cycles and atopy in dogs but I haven't read it all!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
...I can't find it again VV, I read it a while back when looking for some information on atopic dermatitis for a friend , it was a PDF file .

I spotted this on a breed site ...
Thanks Mini

Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=e...llergy&f=false

Poor Amy. This one mentions abnormal oestrus cycles and atopy in dogs but I haven't read it all!
Thanks mse2

I'll have a good read of that when i have woken up a bit more
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 07:16 AM
I don't see why a flare up can't be linked to her seasons, after all our own hormonal cycle can cause flare ups of spots, skin problems etc as well.
I suppose you'll only know for good once she is done. Hopefully it'll mean that once she is done she should be fine with simple management rather than relying on drugs, which can only be a good thing!
Give her a big hug from me.
Becky
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't see why a flare up can't be linked to her seasons, after all our own hormonal cycle can cause flare ups of spots, skin problems etc as well.
I suppose you'll only know for good once she is done. Hopefully it'll mean that once she is done she should be fine with simple management rather than relying on drugs, which can only be a good thing!
Give her a big hug from me.
Becky
Thanks Becky

I could be clutching at straws, it's just the more i think about it, the more the timings match up, I'm not saying the tests done were wrong just that maybe this is adding to it and her immune system copes ok until she cycles.

She will still have the odd scratch in between but at these times she is breaking the skin and making a right mess of herself. Will be jumping in quick this time to get her spayed, the only way i will know for sure, just a shame we have to wait again.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 07:59 AM
My pre-spay bitches always lost condition and had dry skin around their seasons. It could be that the dry skin triggered a change? But that`s not to say that it couldn`t also have made the skin more open to a reaction to another trigger. I`m sure these things are pretty complicated
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Vodka Vixen-found your thread really interesting and I really hope that having Amy speyed is the answer to her allergies. Would be so much easier for little Amy and for yourself if they are linked-fingers crossed for you
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >