View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Nice pics, you can never have too many cats, says she with 6 !!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
Nice pics, you can never have too many cats, says she with 6 !!
Thanks We will just have to see... if there's one which Cuba and I agree would prefer to stay, then maybe
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Thanks We will just have to see... if there's one which Cuba and I agree would prefer to stay, then maybe
Yehhh you know it makes sense!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Yehhh you know it makes sense!
Oooh you're Evil, you are!!
Mum To Many = Devil's Avocado!

Wouldn't mind except one small moggified cat costs twice as much to feed as one 26kg doggy....
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Oooh you're Evil, you are!!
Mum To Many = Devil's Avocado!

Wouldn't mind except one small moggified cat costs twice as much to feed as one 26kg doggy....
Tis true! they are more fussy than the dogs, but I find big tins are the way to go rather than packets, the big tins would be too much for one cat, but perfect for two, and not too expensive.....
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Hmmm...

As much as I want to share your joy, I can't help but feel disheartened to hear yet another moggie is pregnant. Are there not enough stray cats without homes in the world? You know and trust your hopeful kitten owners, but how do you know they won't find themselves in exactly the position you are in now - resulting in yet more moggies.

I do wonder how different this thread would've been had it been about your 1 year old crossbreed dog being pregnant???
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Hmmm...
As much as I want to share your joy, I can't help but feel disheartened to hear yet another moggie is pregnant. Are there not enough stray cats without homes in the world? You know and trust your hopeful kitten owners, but how do you know they won't find themselves in exactly the position you are in now - resulting in yet more moggies.

I do wonder how different this thread would've been had it been about your 1 year old crossbreed dog being pregnant???
I'm not particularly proud of it, no.... hence the thread title. But ask anyone in cats, these things happen. Cats are not dogs. If you read my first post, you might understand I'm experienced enough to make sure none of them become strays.

Unlike dogs, cats come into season very regularly once they are fully mature. Dogs have seasons twice a year - some cats have seasons twice a month!! and all through the year in some cases. Vets are very reluctant to spay a cat when she is in season because of the risk of complications. Likewise, it's not advisable to spay a cat if she is already pregnant, though I know some rescues will do it if she's not too far gone. Bearing in mind you can't tell outwardly if a cat is pregnant until the 3rd week, I doubt you'd find any vet happy to spay a pregnant cat after this time.

A cat is fully mature at 1 year. Responsible cat breeders do not breed from their girls til after a year old and occasionally later, though if the queen is calling constantly it's advisable to mate her up earlier (providing she is fully grown and mature enough) to reduce the risk of uterine infections.

Responsible dog breeders wait til the bitch is almost 2. So a comparison between a cat and a dog becoming pregnant at 1 year is invalid. Different species.... different strokes.

If you're afraid I will turn her into a breeding machine then I'm sorry to disappoint you. It's very true there's plenty of moggies out there needing homes, but there are also plenty of dogs too.... both pedigree and crossbred, and I don't see you having a go at the dog breeders on this forum.

If you would like to discuss this further I will be happy to take it off-forum.

In the meantime may I direct you to
http://www.geocities.com/catwhiskasplace/cost.html which was something I wrote a few years ago and was published widely online at the time.

BTW... one of the future homes is with a close friend of mine who has worked in cat rescue for the last 4 years. He knows my Cuba and has said it will be a joy to have a well-brung-up kitten with no health issues.

Kind regards,
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Tis true! they are more fussy than the dogs, but I find big tins are the way to go rather than packets, the big tins would be too much for one cat, but perfect for two, and not too expensive.....
We took on our rescue cat in February, he came on a diet on Purina Once (dry) and Felix (pouches)....we went into our local Makro a month or so ago, they are having a massive clearance due to a refurb, cases of Felix Roasted (tins) were reduced to clear at £1 for 24 tins......me thinking Scatty cat would eat it??.....not a chance......so Bristol Dogs and Cats home now have 5 cases (120 tins) of Felix thanks to our very fussy cat....lol. It had a long shelf life on it too, so was hoping we had stocked up to last a good while.....lol.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
We took on our rescue cat in February, he came on a diet on Purina Once (dry) and Felix (pouches)....we went into our local Makro a month or so ago, they are having a massive clearance due to a refurb, cases of Felix Roasted (tins) were reduced to clear at £1 for 24 tins......me thinking Scatty cat would eat it??.....not a chance......so Bristol Dogs and Cats home now have 5 cases (120 tins) of Felix thanks to our very fussy cat....lol. It had a long shelf life on it too, so was hoping we had stocked up to last a good while.....lol.
4 of ours are rescues as welll,we do indulge our cats but look out for bargins as well.I would have beeen thrilled to get the bargin you did, some of mine like it, but thats the same with most things, one of mine won't eat anything much apart from Whiskas kitten food and Felix beef in pouches and she still demands her whiskas milk, and shes 4 years old now! We bought a cooked chicken at the weekend we are vegetarians so we bought it as a treat for the dogs and cats, and they loved it all apart from one cat who doesn't like things to be too meaty or too fishy, her favourite treat is to have a slice of melon, honestly, she would chose that above anything else you could offer her! I bet they were grateful for all those tins at the Dogs and Cats home though, so some good came out of it!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm not particularly proud of it, no.... hence the thread title. But ask anyone in cats, these things happen. Cats are not dogs. If you read my first post, you might understand I'm experienced enough to make sure none of them become strays.
...but that doesn't make it ok, does it? I've got a cat and managed to have her spayed at 6 months old to prevent unwanted pregnancies. If needs be you should've kept your cat indoors until she did stop calling and then spay.

Unlike dogs, cats come into season very regularly once they are fully mature. Dogs have seasons twice a year - some cats have seasons twice a month!! and all through the year in some cases. Vets are very reluctant to spay a cat when she is in season because of the risk of complications. Likewise, it's not advisable to spay a cat if she is already pregnant, though I know some rescues will do it if she's not too far gone. Bearing in mind you can't tell outwardly if a cat is pregnant until the 3rd week, I doubt you'd find any vet happy to spay a pregnant cat after this time.
My best friend had her cat spayed when she realised she was pregnant. Very irresponsible to allow the cat to get pregnant in the first place, but at least it didn't result in yet more unwanted moggies.

A cat is fully mature at 1 year. Responsible cat breeders do not breed from their girls til after a year old and occasionally later, though if the queen is calling constantly it's advisable to mate her up earlier (providing she is fully grown and mature enough) to reduce the risk of uterine infections.

Responsible dog breeders wait til the bitch is almost 2. So a comparison between a cat and a dog becoming pregnant at 1 year is invalid. Different species.... different strokes.
And yet both animals can suffer just the same if they become unwanted and without a home, which many accidental litters do.

If you're afraid I will turn her into a breeding machine then I'm sorry to disappoint you. It's very true there's plenty of moggies out there needing homes, but there are also plenty of dogs too.... both pedigree and crossbred, and I don't see you having a go at the dog breeders on this forum.
Then you need to dig deeper, I abhor all irresponsible pet breeding regardless of species, however, I wasn't aware I was having a go at anyone. That said you can't expect to post a thread about an accidental mating and receive only positive responses. You say you are a bad cat owner so you obviously realise what has happened is a bad thing.

If you would like to discuss this further I will be happy to take it off-forum.
Thanks but I'll decline, my feelings stay as they stand - no point in discussing it further really.

In the meantime may I direct you to
http://www.geocities.com/catwhiskasplace/cost.html which was something I wrote a few years ago and was published widely online at the time.
I'm not sure of the relevance to that article and this thread? Yes breeding is expensive, even more reason to spay a pet cat though, right?

BTW... one of the future homes is with a close friend of mine who has worked in cat rescue for the last 4 years. He knows my Cuba and has said it will be a joy to have a well-brung-up kitten with no health issues.

Kind regards,
But that doesn't change the fact that he may well have gone for another needy rescue moggie kitten if you hadn't allowed your cat to get pregnant though?

I'm not against breeding, I'm just more interested in breeding to better a breed, rather than breeding accidentally when it could've been prevented.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >