View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:36 PM
The problem I have had is that I have been in fields and mountain paths when I have unexpectedly come across cattle. It wasn't initially apparent that they were there.

As MaryS has sensibly said, I think there needs to be give and take on both sides. Walkers (esp with dogs) need to be made aware just how dangerous cattle can be (most esp cows with young calves) and wherever possible should avoid entering a field or area with such livestock. On the other hand, farmers should perhaps take into account that a footpath runs through their land and either fence off the footpath or take steps to ensure walkers know there are cows/calves or bulls etc in the vicinity.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Is there not a compromise that the path can be fenced therefore allowing folk to walk unharmed and farmers the freedom to graze cattle where they wish?

If cows with calves are unpredictable they should not be anywhere where thy can potentially harm people. Imagine if you were walking with a child!

as dog walker e e asked to keep control of our dogs whilst out walking surely the same can be asked of the farmers?
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Totally agree Kirsty. The bull incident was on the Sussex Weald and the field was hilly with drops and plenty of places for Boris the Bull to hide.
The young males chased me right to the river and I was sinking in the estuary mud. Lost my boots in fact and farmer didn't even suggest a new pair. Fact is he had left his gate open to let them graze on the abutting marsh defences (owned by Environment Agency) as it apparently improves the taste....LOL. He is v influential around here with his sheep and land etc etc but I've advised him of his liability LOL!
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-07-2009, 03:46 PM
There was an interesting piece on BBC’s Farming Today recently. It was suggested that walkers should/could walk around the edge of a field and keep handy access to a fence etc
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
There was an interesting piece on BBC’s Farming Today recently. It was suggested that walkers should/could walk around the edge of a field and keep handy access to a fence etc
That would make sense IF you were in a field. The cattle I have encountered more often than any other are ones on mountain and hill paths which aren't fenced in.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
That would make sense IF you were in a field. The cattle I have encountered more often than any other are ones on mountain and hill paths which aren't fenced in.
And where there are fences most of them are not easily climbable - usually being topped with barbed wire (though I'd probably prefer the barbed wire to a herd of angry cows!).
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:58 PM
There aren`t that many footpaths TBH - and it`s only bullocks and cows with calves that are the problem. I have long suspected that many field with footpaths become the best place for cows and calves to deter walkers. If a farmer really has only one field (the one with a footpath) in which to graze his calves he could always use electric fences, which is what they do in France.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:01 PM
It was young heifers that got my F in L.

rune
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Is there not a compromise that the path can be fenced therefore allowing folk to walk unharmed and farmers the freedom to graze cattle where they wish?

If cows with calves are unpredictable they should not be anywhere where thy can potentially harm people. Imagine if you were walking with a child!

as dog walker e e asked to keep control of our dogs whilst out walking surely the same can be asked of the farmers?
Why should a child be allowed to walk through a field of "unpredictable" cows? I am not a farmer but i have a huge amount of sympathy for them especially when ramblers and dog walkers et al seem to think that they can wander all over the farmers factory floor and that everything should be organised so that the walkers can do so. I have open moorland near me that is grazed by cattle at certain times of the year and then i simply look out for them and stay away. My BC is good on sheep but hates cattle. I have also walked in the Highlands and on Dartmoor, Exmoor and Bodmin Moor and have come across cattle and just try and use good sense (and sometimes a big stick!)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
Why should a child be allowed to walk through a field of "unpredictable" cows? I am not a farmer but i have a huge amount of sympathy for them especially when ramblers and dog walkers et al seem to think that they can wander all over the farmers factory floor and that everything should be organised so that the walkers can do so. I have open moorland near me that is grazed by cattle at certain times of the year and then i simply look out for them and stay away. My BC is good on sheep but hates cattle. I have also walked in the Highlands and on Dartmoor, Exmoor and Bodmin Moor and have come across cattle and just try and use good sense (and sometimes a big stick!)
You are not differentiating between public rights of way and 'freedom to roam'. A right of way doesn't allow you to wonder wherever you like... you are to stick to the designated path..that is assuming that it is clearly marked. If the farmer does not keep it clearly marked, the public can't really be blamed if they wander off it.

The freedom to roam, I do not particularly agree with, but in that case, IMO I think people should do so at their own risk.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »