Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
OK Lizzy, will do.

Apparently ''Advocate'' is a good flea treatment from now on as that covers mites as well as the other two nasties.

What with these and all the sticky buds getting caught up in his ears he really is full on in the summer in terms of grooming eh!! ;o)

Was just going to suggest that, you need a prescription though...

But not sure why you would be cross with your vet for giving him an all clear a few months ago...

With this weather(warm) and all, these things can happen at any time, and no one is to blame.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Was just going to suggest that, you need a prescription though...

But not sure why you would be cross with your vet for giving him an all clear a few months ago...

With this weather(warm) and all, these things can happen at any time, and no one is to blame.
I think it's more because I've been feeling for months that things aren't right with his ears (crusty black wax and itchy) but she gave all clear. that and the eyes have got me wondering. New vets are great though and have said we'll discuss prevention next week once we know all OK.

Had to buy a muzzle for him though as he's so fearful. shame as really hoped I could earn his trust on it but have obviously been doing more harm than good by trying too clean when there are mites there. Poor baby.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

25-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I think it's more because I've been feeling for months that things aren't right with his ears (crusty black wax and itchy) but she gave all clear. that and the eyes have got me wondering. New vets are great though and have said we'll discuss prevention next week once we know all OK.

Had to buy a muzzle for him though as he's so fearful. shame as really hoped I could earn his trust on it but have obviously been doing more harm than good by trying too clean when there are mites there. Poor baby.
A good prevention for ear mites is garlic.

Break a garlic capsule and soak a cotton ball in the liquid... rub inside the ear, allow a little to drop into the ear..

Mite hate garlic, .. this tip was given to me many yrs ago .. and has never failed
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Interesting. How often Jackbox?

Are mites more common in certain breeds? Or is it situation dependent?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

25-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Interesting. How often Jackbox?

Are mites more common in certain breeds? Or is it situation dependent?
They are more common in breeds such as yours, long hairy ears.

Depends on the severity of the condition.but once every few days to start, ..down to once a wk/

Cheap garlic caspules from TESCO will do..just wipe around the ear... allowing a little to drop into the ear.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks ;o) Will add to the list of ''Woody maintenance'' and will defo rule out children ;o)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 10:28 PM
OK Lizzy, will do.

Apparently ''Advocate'' is a good flea treatment from now on as that covers mites as well as the other two nasties.

What with these and all the sticky buds getting caught up in his ears he really is full on in the summer in terms of grooming eh!! ;o)
itchy
we use advocate at our surgery fo first line parasite control.cats and dogs have low grade ear mites generaly and its when the balance tips you notice there is a problem,to see ear mites its a case of the vet using an otoscope and staying still till something moves,not very sophisticated do make sure you clean her ears properly before u put the drops down and grab some advocate(remember it does mange,lungworm,roundworm,fleas etc not meaning to sound like an advert ) and all will be fine.have fun on hols
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Meg, used to hate having her ears done after a bad case of ear mites as a pup, thats why we went down the Thornit Powder route, after a lot of perseverance i can now do them with Cleanaural as long as i do her first and quickly.

Just picked up on another thing that you said, if he is bouncing about in long grass, check him for grass seeds especially between his toes, and under his legs, if they manage to get under the skin you end up with abcesses
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Don't be cross with your vet Pidgey ear mites are tricky little ******s. Thing is if he has wax in his ears anyway, he could have a little pregnant mite hiding behind it....months later=massive problem.

Every dog can get them. Loads have them without being aware. Cosmo came to us with them because the breeders BT is a licker who cleans ALL the other dogs ears all the time....suffice to say the breeder didn't know she had an outbreak until hers showed signs at the same time as Cosmo. They are really hard to spot in the initial stages (our vet had also checked Cosmo's ears when we got him).

I personally, don't like sticking stuff down their ears routinely...I think it can increase wax production etc, but it is worth talking about preventatives with your vet.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
What they really like is, when you`ve put the drops in, massage the base of the ear. You`ll hear it `squidge` when you`re doing it right. Dogs tend to go cross-eyed with ectasy and occasionally fall over.

LOL - that's the most accurate description of what they are like when putting ear-drops in. Class!!

I've never had a dog with ear-mites before, but my sisters Lab used to get ear-infections all the time & Thornit was fab at clearing it up.

Hope poor Woody feels better soon, must be awful having itchy ears all the time
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >