Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
As Jackie is offline i will answer with my very limited knowledge.... Mum and dad take care of the babies and (i believe!) take turns in feeding them by regurgitating for them... yummy!

Though, i think Jackie will be taking these babies away for handrearing...??

thanks for that
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Thank you for that Jess

yes Shona, dad eats then comes into the nesting box and feeds mum who in turn feeds the babies

we had some sadness yesterday and it is the first time Sausage and Chips have ever done it but hubby went to feed them and they had destroyed their 2 eggs

so we have no babies from them now, but Jaffa and JJ still have 2 eggs to hatch
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 04:23 PM
so sorry to hear about your eggs,
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Awww Jackie that is awful!! Any idea why?

I know i've heard of it happening a lot if the parents are scared by something like a cat/dog/noisy neighbour. Must be devestating for you.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Awww Jackie that is awful!! Any idea why?

I know i've heard of it happening a lot if the parents are scared by something like a cat/dog/noisy neighbour. Must be devestating for you.
Thank you Shona

No Jess no idea at all, nothing has changed for them and the sad thing is the eggs were fertile

yes very sad and i was quite upset yesterday, but i suppose with being a breeder this is what happens as with any animal that is breed

but i dont like this part of breeding at all
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I can imagine it must be heartbreaking.. And they must have been nearly ready to hatch?? Awful...

Im sure there was a reason for it, or at least, they THOUGHT there was a reason. But like you say, it happens.

I know someone who breeds cockatoos and he has had a pair that have lived happily for about 10 years, babies every year! Then out of the blue this year the male bird killed the female. Devestating. I guess its the less pleasant side to breeding
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I can imagine it must be heartbreaking.. And they must have been nearly ready to hatch?? Awful...

Im sure there was a reason for it, or at least, they THOUGHT there was a reason. But like you say, it happens.

I know someone who breeds cockatoos and he has had a pair that have lived happily for about 10 years, babies every year! Then out of the blue this year the male bird killed the female. Devestating. I guess its the less pleasant side to breeding
yes they were due to hatch any day which makes it even sadder

yes mum and dad must have had a very good reason as these 2 are an excellent pair and they have never done anything like this before

oh am very sorry for the person you know it truely is heartbreaking
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 02:17 PM
You can never work out whats going on in their heads. They are such intelligent animals so there must have been a genuine reason, and like you say such a good pair with all their previous babies... Terrible.

At least you have the others and you have something to look forward to with raising them
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2009, 09:54 AM
quick update as not long been back from Italy

Jaffa and JJ now have 2 babies

and sausage and chips have started laying eggs again, so far we have one egg from them, so fingers crossed these will hatch
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Sorry about the losses. Hopefully with the 2 new babes and new eggs things will improve and we have lots of babies to coo over!
Becky
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »