View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately human nature being as it is, people will criticise and judge.

I agree with Werewolf, that the bitch and pups aren't to blame for the owner's naivety/ignorance and so I feel helpful information should be given.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I can`t help being a bit suspicious when people seek help and advice after the pups are born. I could understand it more if they had joined while the bitch was in whelp so they knew what was going to happen like feeding the expectant mum, length of gestation, what to do if things go wrong, signs of labour, do you need a vet for labour etc. etc.
So - and forgive me if anyone on here is offended, it`s not aimed at you! - I have a nasty suspicion that they may also be looking for buyers.
I would not rely on an internet forum for veterinary advice with tiny puppies and my precious dog. Would you?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2009, 06:56 PM
When people post on here about whelping they usually get help. In the past some of us have sat up all night with people who were novice breeders and had a whelping bitch

That doesn't mean people won't be informed of their responsibilities and taken to task if they are being deliberately careless or thoughtless on the subject of breeding.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I think her first port of call should be the vets, surely if anyone can give the right advice i would have assumed they could? Not being a breeder myself I wouldn't have a clue where to start but then I would never get myself into that position.
It's shame that she didn't get any advice or help, as you say the pups are already here but she's clearly been hugely irresponsible and with the number of dogs being PTS everyday you can hardly blame people for treating her with contempt.
TBH I think it's only right that people let her know how they feel, may put off another "accident" from happening.

I agree with John, I think the pups should be homed by a reputable rescue so she is garanteed of good homes for them. It's a shame though that rescue has to pick up the pieces yet again for a silly owner.

**oooh, I feel like a meanie**
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi Liz

It's great you are helping her. I meet loads of other dog owners on our walks but I don't know of any that visit dog forums and some are genuinely not as clued up as forum members. It doesn't excuse some actions and I agree that if someone is intending on producing a litter of puppies, it should be obvious to do research first and do things properly.

Having said that, it happens that unfortunately not everyone does and alienating this person won't do anything to help her care for the puppies or their future. The pups are here and giving advice doesn't mean the breeding is being condoned. Hopefully, if given guidance, and that should include an explanation as to what was wrong about the way she went about things, this person will be more responsible in future.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by liz & kiesha View Post
Hi Lionhound, how are you?
I understand people being judgemental and so did she, however there are ways to make a point or educate people and this is not what she recieved. She got the 'Louise' treatment.

No offence intended Louise
OoOhhh am I the ONLY person on here to tell the truth???

I don't candy coat for anyone..and I am not sorry for that

If she didn't want the truth she shouldn't have bred plain & simple..
People doing what she is doing is why the dog world is such a mess..
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
What is the woman's intentions with regard the pups? If she has not done prior research up til now then is she competent to raise and then home the pups? I would suggest not and that the best chance for the pups would be to approach a rescue for help finding homes.

That would mean that she won't make any money but the pups interests would be served and there would be boundless advice on tap from the rescue in the meanwhile.

If she is doesn't like that idea and wants to profit from the pups' sale then I would not be prepared to offer any helpful tips beyond refering to a vet for health concerns as she is a BYB.

Is she competent to raise the pups? Well with help in the form of advice i dont see why not. I got the impression most of the pups were spoken for from neighbours and the other pups are free to a good home. I did not suggest a rescue to her for this as to be honest i was only there a short time and it was a bit of a surprise to see the litter. I did not get the impression she wanted to profit in any way from this and you have just added to what i mean by automatically assuming she does.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post

Absolutely right.

However, we have all made mistakes in life. Those who say they haven't are in denial!

The bitch and pups will be the losers if no help is given.

As dog lovers, there is no choice.
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
OoOhhh am I the ONLY person on here to tell the truth???

I don't candy coat for anyone..and I am not sorry for that

So education is the key. Therefore she should be educated.
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
Absolutely right.

However, we have all made mistakes in life. Those who say they haven't are in denial!

The bitch and pups will be the losers if no help is given.

As dog lovers, there is no choice.

Thank you, that was my point.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »