View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Like other people on here I wasn't sure at first but after about a week of sleepless nights, we did buy one for our Chi. I got a 76 inch size one so pretty big never heard a peep after that he is 6 months old now and still goes in there at night, as he can open all doors in the house and easily get upstairs. He sometimes takes himself off in there during the day we just leave the door open and off he goes for an hour or so has a nap then back to playing. They are a godsend.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks for all your advice, i bought a crate last night and when got home put her bed in it and some toys and she was in it straight away, we took it upstairs when it was bedtime and she was fast asleep and didnt her a peep out of her all night, very pleased hope it continues.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I always put mine in crates over night as I dont have kennels and I cant imagine the choas if I didnt.
Mine also go in of there own accord for peace and quiet when the doors open.
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
we have 1 for travelling and also because it helps the dog if they have somewhere that they feel is "theirs"where they wont be disturbed .it also helps with house training.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-05-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm putting in my support with all those who use and like crates. I found them invaluable in house training, keeping the pup out of trouble and giving them a space of their own.

To this day even though the dogs are free to sleep in beds, sofas or where they choose, they either go to my bed or to their crates. It also gives them a home away from home. Either by taking the whole crate, or just the bedding, you provide a familiar sleeping area wherever you go.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Crates are fine as long as they are introduced and used properly and the dog enjoys being in them.

I hope however we never go the way some US owners seem to have gone (perhaps it's not just US but for some reason it seems more acceptable over there!) which is to keep dogs (even large active dogs) in crates for most of the day during the whole of their life.

I have used a crate and I will say they are great for when you can't keep an eye on the puppy

So IMHO used correctly they are great!

Wys
x
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I recently got a rescue, Jessie... She was not used to being in a crate, and hated it! So for 2 nights she was loose in the house.. The first night was good as I was off work..

Unfortunately, while I was on nightshift, she chewed the cord to my fan, and also peed on my bed... Thankfully in the far corner of the bed...

She went back to her crate, but this time in my bedroom... Now when I tell them 'bedtime', they both go into their respective crates...
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-05-2009, 09:40 PM
thats great lene it takes time but its worth the effort as they need somewhere that is theirs.
mastiffgirl
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2009, 03:24 AM
I think crates are super! My new pup was put in the first night and everynight since. She is almost 16 weeks. All of my dogs have had their own crate which is only fair since I have my same room. Crates should never be used as punishment but should be used when ever you are unable to watch your new pup. It only takes a few minutes to chew an electrical cord, pills from your purse or clothing left on the floor. Since puppies sleep 20 hours a day I also use them when I work. Scout has her toys and treats and is quite content. Unless you have a puppy door your house would become a toilet if just left alone all day unattended. Mastiffs are quite the chewers and this works for all here. I hope this helps.
viktory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I use a crate for my pup both during the day and overnight. She is quite happy in it, does not show any signs of distress, is clean in there and sleeps through the night.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2