Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 02:40 PM
The owner of the off lead dog
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 02:44 PM
I dont know about the law but its a difficult one!
Obviously the dog that is off lead should not be allowed to run up to other dogs if it cant be recalled but if the other dog is aggressive shouldnt it have a muzzle on??

I would say tho the law would take the unaggressive dogs side no matter what the situation if its in a public place.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-04-2009, 02:52 PM
It is the offlead dog. I had a situation where this border collie that is always going for mine anyway, flew out of its house and attacked my 2 (despite the fact that it half the size of just one of mine ) I was petrified mine would do it some sort of injury and I would get into trouble to be honest. I rang the dog warden the next day for advice and they said the offlead dog was at fault and as mine were onlead whatever happened wasn't my fault as I had taken all reasonable steps etc etc.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
I dont know about the law but its a difficult one!
Obviously the dog that is off lead should not be allowed to run up to other dogs if it cant be recalled but if the other dog is aggressive shouldnt it have a muzzle on??

I would say tho the law would take the unaggressive dogs side no matter what the situation if its in a public place.
Not causing an argument, but the OP said that the dog isn't dog agressive if the dog doesn't run up, so I personally don't think it would be classed as an agressive dog.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Not causing an argument, but the OP said that the dog isn't dog agressive if the dog doesn't run up, so I personally don't think it would be classed as an agressive dog.
Like i say i dont know!
Was wondering what insurance companies would say to this one. Cos although the offlead dog was the one who caused the situation it didnt intentionally cause harm ... that was the other one.
I am not on the off lead dogs side, lol
actually i can see it from both sides as Honey is one of those dogs who reckons every dog wants to play with her, but Lucy is aggressive on lead sometimes (and i hate it when dogs bound over and the owners cant get them back!!).
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Like i say i dont know!
Was wondering what insurance companies would say to this one. Cos although the offlead dog was the one who caused the situation it didnt intentionally cause harm ... that was the other one.
I am not on the off lead dogs side, lol
actually i can see it from both sides as Honey is one of those dogs who reckons every dog wants to play with her, but Lucy is aggressive on lead sometimes (and i hate it when dogs bound over and the owners cant get them back!!).
Insurance companies are a law unto themselves lol, so I have no clue what they would do
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 03:34 PM
The owner of the off lead dog imo - they should have put it on a lead as soon as they saw the other dog was. Mind you even when i have my dog on lead (because she can be like Sally - shes not aggressive at all) other people still let their dogs sniff around her etc etc so its just as well shes not aggressive really
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 03:54 PM
The owner of the offlead dog, why should the other dog be muzzled and possibly stressed out by this just because some stupid owner's dogs who are out of control may come running up? JMO of course. If you can't recall your dog then don't let it off and if you do let it off then don't whinge if/when it eventually runs into trouble because you can't control it!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Mine walk off lead, but recall of ''close'' is good. However IF and I say IF one of mine ran over to someone elses dog who had already shouted a warning....I personally, would apologies and except responsiblity as i feel to walk off lead....which as I say mine do......recall is something that has to be taught from a very early age, without that your asking for all sorts of problems x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 04:45 PM
The blame would lie with the off lead dog, but IMO any dog that will attack others should be muzzled out in public. It is all very well saying that all dogs should be under control and have an excellent recall when off lead, but realistically, how many people do? those of us that have had to walk dogs on leads for periods of time (because of operations, illness, injury, behavioural problems, etc.) will know that the average person doesn't have a great recall on their dog.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >