sorry i can be a bit confusing

so can we all at times, I agree with you and thanks for the clarification

Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Any action or inaction that causes unecessary pain or distress.
Me rugby-tackling my dog to stop her jumping out of a window after cat good
Me grabbing my dog by the scruff and shaking her as punishment bad.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I would say that anything that inflicts pain or fear - is abuse

I will use the CM "prod" (as I describe it - dare I even mention the man ) if my dogs are not listening to voice command. This certainly does not hurt them or make them fearful. Sometimes they are just not paying attention and that physical contact kind of brings them around. Rarely have to do that though, as they are little angels I would say that though, being their Mummy
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I stood on Riley's little footsie yesterday whilst out on a walk. He certainly thought that was abuse and let the whole street know!! Didnt seem to matter than the foot-stepping-on happened because he was getting himself under my feet

I rarely have to raise my voice at my dogs, they're good dogs. I wouldnt call a light smack abuse... Beating a dog, thats abuse. Kicking it. Starving it. Caging it all day with no exercise. Those i'd all class as abuse.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I will use the CM "prod" (as I describe it - dare I even mention the man ) if my dogs are not listening to voice command.
I prodded Bryan today when he was barking at a cat over the road. If I shout at him he ignores me or thinks I am joining in with the barking and barks even more.

Apart from the odd prod though I don't 'smack' my dogs. I just have to give them the look most of the time to make them stop what they are doing

I also think keeping a dog locked in a crate for many hours every day is abuse, overfeeding or underfeeding a dog is abuse and breeding indiscriminately is abuse.

I could probably think of a million and one things I would consider abuse, some major some not.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I prodded Bryan today when he was barking at a cat over the road. If I shout at him he ignores me or thinks I am joining in with the barking and barks even more.

Apart from the odd prod though I don't 'smack' my dogs. I just have to give them the look most of the time to make them stop what they are doing

I also think keeping a dog locked in a crate for many hours every day is abuse, overfeeding or underfeeding a dog is abuse and breeding indiscriminately is abuse.

I could probably think of a million and one things I would consider abuse, some major some not.
What she said. Too lazy to write my own one.
L-TRAYNOR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by smileyfaces=] View Post
animal abuse i mean, well dog, what would you? would you give your dog a smack? opinions...
WELL I DONT BELIEVE IN SMACKING BUT IF YOU SHOW THEM A ROLLED UP NEWSPAPER THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH OR RAISE YOUR VOICE IN A DIFFERENT TONE THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH BUT DONT HURT THEM
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Do you mean threaten them with a rolled up newspaper? If they hadn't been hit with it before how would they know to be frightened by it?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 06:22 PM
for me causing fear or pain or distress is abuse - unless necessary - ie sarahs example...(sorry too lazy too!!)

if china is being horrendous i will give her a gentle smack on the rump - but by all means certainly not enough to cause any pain - like someone has said - its physical contact that gets their attention sometimes!

i find a gentle nudge on her shoulder - like you would to get someones attention- works sufficiently or just my voice - she knows what that means!!!!!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Do you mean threaten them with a rolled up newspaper? If they hadn't been hit with it before how would they know to be frightened by it?
thats very true - if we roll paper up and hold it to the dog - she knows thats her cue to play tug with it and shred till her hearts content!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >