Female 

20-02-2009, 05:38 PM
greyhound i think lottie meant the original story
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
My greyhound killed a neighbours cat which was in our garden though not in the open. It was horrific and fortunately our neighbour was very understanding. This is an inbred instinct in some dogs and being an ex racer even more so. Nothing i could do, by the time i got outside she'd killed it.
But these hounds were out of control & on her property-sorry but there is no excuse. Other people's cats used to come into my garden, but despite us having very high prey drive GSDs & BC at the time they would never have killed any of them.

There is no excuse sorry & I would be in favour of all ex racing greyhounds being muzzled off lead just as the racing greys have to be when they are in training.

I had a friend whose two show bred cockers were killed & eaten by greys in training that were off lead & not muzzled, the trainers couldn't have cared less, neither could the police !
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post

If the cat was outside of it's garden, then whilst I sympathise deeply for the owner, I can understand it happens - they should not be getting into people's gardens though.
Sorry I have to disagree, cats are not like dogs & unless they are kept indoors(which is not natural, under the animal welfare act)they are free spirits under the law

My cats don't pooh in other people's gardens as they have their spots in mine, however I do have other people's dogs using my front garden as a toilet(including the hounds from the Middleton Hunt when they go on their monthly rampages through the village)

If one of my GSDs had killed a cat in a public place I'm sure the police wouldn't just be considering legal action, my dog would have been carted off & PTS. Pack hounds are exempt from the DDA sadly
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 06:25 PM
And they sometimes don't know the difference between a fox and a dog.

I dread meeting a pack of hounds, luckily for us the forestry commission don't allow it.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

20-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Hunting pack kill cat, how nice of them to apologise & offer compensation(shouldn't have bl**dy well happened in the first place)-if these had been pet dogs the press would be baying for the dogs to be put down.

Hunts are the only dog owners allowed to have out of control packs of dogs rampaging across the countryside & not be punished
Absolutely agree why are they any different than any other dog owner? If my dog is out of control and attacks anything then its my fault and I could be prosecuted and certainly and rightly would be castigated on here for allowing my dog to be out of control

Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
greyhoundk - from reading the article it sounded to me like the cat was in the owner's garden??

I know it's natural and some dogs have it built into them - but imo, if you're going to take hounds out on a hunt, it should either be somewhere secure or you need to have enough control to be able to call them back if they're in someone's garden!

If the cat was outside of it's garden, then whilst I sympathise deeply for the owner, I can understand it happens - they should not be getting into people's gardens though.
The thing is Lottie I know my dogs have it built in and exactly they are kept under control on leads and are muzzled.

The thing is regardless of where the cat was these dogs were not under control in anyway.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
But these hounds were out of control & on her property-sorry but there is no excuse. Other people's cats used to come into my garden, but despite us having very high prey drive GSDs & BC at the time they would never have killed any of them.

There is no excuse sorry & I would be in favour of all ex racing greyhounds being muzzled off lead just as the racing greys have to be when they are in training.

I had a friend whose two show bred cockers were killed & eaten by greys in training that were off lead & not muzzled, the trainers couldn't have cared less, neither could the police !
Now I know that my greys are perfectly capable of killing a cat that’s why they are walked muzzled and always on leads – they are under control because I know if they saw a cat they would chase and kill. Yet others seem to be able to trail around 20 dogs without a lead on them and obviously out of control – why?

However I cannot control them in their own garden so if a cat does wander in – and I do check before they go out Im afraid things do happen but that is only in my own garden and I do not give them the chance to do it elsewhere.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Could your dog be taken off you and PTS if it kills a cat while out on it's walk?!!!

I always have my eyes skimmed for cats and squiggles as Maggie would have 'em given half the chance. I don't know that she would be able to catch a cat but she sure as heck can run like the wind. I'd be mortified if she did do something terrible but not sure there is much I could do to stop her?

As far as the hounds go, I'd be terrified if they turned up round the corner. Packs of dogs are scary. I had a friend whose cat was also ripped to shreds by a hunt pack in her driveway. Absolutely awful.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Joedee i wasn't condoning what happened to the cat at all and i agree that pack hounds should be treated as any other dog. Unfortunately i can't control cats coming into my garden as you say they are free spirits and i think in law they are regarded as wild animals because of this ? the cat used to come in all the time and poo (not that this is relevent) my dog is always on lead when out, apart from when i take her to one of our walks which is all fields, so she wouldn't get an opportunity to attack a cat but why should i muzzle her in my own back garden ?

Lottie -sorry i was getting muddled up, thought you were referring to my post.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 08:53 PM
I do fully agree, bloody hell, if it were my cat I'd be livid, wherever she happened to be when they got her.

It's just that I do understand that dogs will never ben 100% reliable... especially when adrenalised and running in a pack.

However - I have a question
Isn't it now illegal to hunt to kill?? I was under the impression hunts were set up now without an actual animal to catch... so can't the hounds wear muzzles like greys do?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 09:17 PM
It is horrific. That poor cat, and owner

Hounds should be under control the same as any other dog! Disgusting.

Lottie - yes, hunting with dogs is now banned. However, hunts are still allowed to *exercise* their hounds in a pack and if they happen to kill a cat, or fox, or other small furry when they are out then that is just too bad

They seem to be a law unto themselves
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2