View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I also think it is down to the individual dog, although I do think, as a breed, GSDs are among the most loyal you can get, possibly THE most loyal
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I think its the dog rather then the breed, my dobie wont go round the agility course with anyone else not even my sister, she is always by my side on a walk(unless shes running after her ball) and at home if im not in she ignores everyone else and sleeps on my bed til i get home, but ive had yorkies that were the same way too.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:34 AM
i think its more the dog rather than the breed.

Bonnie is very loyal and not interested in other dogs, where as Hector is very people/animal orinentated.i do have to watch the horizon with him as he will go with anyone,daft dog!
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Alaskan Malamute ...

mine doesnt leave my side in the park,she's run on ahead,but always waits for me to catch up!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 03:42 AM
Definitely GSDs - they are the most loyal dog that i have ever known. My leo girlie would disappear with anyone that showed an interest in her, lol.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Gsds & Collies.

Some of it with collies is down to a herding type instinct but certainly not all of it, some of it comes down to the fact they are bred for a 1-1 relationship with a farmer.

Gsds are very like that, & in obedience quite a few faulter in their career when it comes to out of site stays, they just find it hard to cope. personally i think some of it all comes down to a guarding instinct.

Id say (& it pains me to say it) the GSD edges it over the collie (in general ) for loyalty.**** not including mine of course!!!!!****

Still wether they are really herding or guarding they are both great breeds to be around!!!!!
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Ben never lets me out of his sight, when we're out.. Every couple of seconds he looks back to make sure I'm there...

Ben's a Great Dane cross.

When we're home, he's happy to lie on his $2,000 leather couch in the lounge room, while I'm on the computer... If I leave the office, he comes and checks where I'm going..
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I think it is probably down to the individual dog, but as a breed, I think the GSD is very loyal in general. Every GSD I have known finds it had to swap handlers in a class. My Cox won't work at all for anyone else - not even my husband - he whines lunges and tries to get to me. He also won't go to any stranger who calls him, and rarely takes food from anyone he doesn't know. On a walk he won't let me out of his sight, and although he goes on ahead, he is constantly checking where I am.

I've had Belle (3 y. o. gsd) for 4 days now - likewise she, so far, won't let me out of sight (unless she is chasing rabbits which she has done once or twice so far). But if a nice friendly person talks to her she will go up to them to have a sniff, say hello.

I will say this though, that having taken on 2 adult gsds, neither have had a problem bonding with me really quickly, with no signs of pinning for their previous owner/life, although no doubt they do miss them for a while I guess.

Cox did look like a duck out of water for a couple week or so after I got him, not sure what to do and not wanting to put a foot wrong, still doesn't lol. Belle, well she's a bossy little boots whose made herself right at home, and was a confident little madame from the word go lol.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 09:04 AM
I have to say I have two breeds and my most loyal out of Rotts and cockers has to be the rotts.My oldest Kizzy never ever leaves my side,follows me around wherever I go,xxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I'll have to say it's the dog rather than the breed, because having always had gsd's apart from one cocker, and I'm on my 7th one now, none of them have ever gone out of sight, always stuck to me like glue, never been able to leave them with anyone else, nobody has ever been able to take them off for a walk without ME including husband, pined when I go out even though they've got husband here at home, BUT, having said all of that, Georgie is an exception, he walks right next to me, but is happy to linger behind to munch on grass, happy to go tearing off to meet another dog, and happy to be left alone sleeping he did have 5 years of previous baggage though being a rescue, but even so, he's been with me for 5 years so he should have picked up the loyalty card by now shouldn't he?!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >