View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2005, 10:12 AM
"A dog with one or both testicles missing from the scrotum is said to be cryptorchid. If one testicle is missing & the other is present, the dog is monorchid. Cryptorchidism is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait. Mature dogs with two undescended tecticles are sterile. A monorchid dog may be fertile but should not be used for breeding.

The testicles usually descend into the scrotum by 6-8 weeks of age, but may not descend until 6 months, Occasionally a testicle can be felt in the scrotum at one time but not at another. The testicles can retract up into the inguinal canal when a puppy is cold, excited, or actively playing. These puppies are not cryptorchid. ... [Cryptorchidism] - Removng the testicles is the treatment of choice because of the risk of developing testicular neoplasms, which may be as high as 50% in undescended testicles".

Griffin & Carlson. 2000
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Dreamon
I was told that it would be unethical for me to breed from Bailey (not that it was ever my intention to do so )This condition is genetic and Cryptorchid dogs are at far more risk from testicular cancer and from torsion, therefore castration is usually the only answer your vet will give you, my vet only agreed to having the retained testicle removed and leaving Bailey intact for other medical reasons, he also believes me to be a responsible enough owner never to breed from him

but if you dont plan to breed why not get both removed as i am doing with my dog
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi doggy mad

if you read my posts I think you'll find my reasons explained there
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
sorry missed that bit will taking away both make him more nervous
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 10:50 AM
well I'm told by my vet and Bailey's behaviourist that as Bailey has nervous aggression problems, the testosterone that he has whilst he's entire is giving him the little confidence that he has atm, if we were to remove both testicles he would most likely become more aggresive due to the lack of confidence
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2005, 11:05 AM
dont know if i would agree with that having had aggressive dog in the past who after the op did calm down alot not all the way but it was a lot more controlable especially with other dogs
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I am aware that castration may be of help with a modifacation programme for dogs with status or territorial aggression but definately not for dogs with fear or nervous aggression
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi
Dont know if this will help any but we have had a few boxers in that only one testical has dropped. In all cases the people have been advised to have them castrated but the age varies with vets. Some like to do it at 1 and a half others at 2.
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 12:18 PM
When i took Smudge in for his last jab, one of his had not dropped so the vet said when he goes in for his 6 months check he will see if it had dropped. The vet said if it didn't drop it's best to have them castrated.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by Dreamon View Post
I was told that it would be unethical for me to breed from Bailey (not that it was ever my intention to do so )This condition is genetic and Cryptorchid dogs are at far more risk from testicular cancer and from torsion, therefore castration is usually the only answer your vet will give you, my vet only agreed to having the retained testicle removed and leaving Bailey intact for other medical reasons, he also believes me to be a responsible enough owner never to breed from him
very well said,
Hi Sponge,
I would wait until he is 18 months and if they are not in place by then I would have him sprayed if he is a showdog, but if he is a beloved pet then do it anytime after 6 months
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >