View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 09:35 PM
He's now lying on his back with his butt facing me and I might throw up.

Stinky bum boy! I'd rather have his farts!

What can I do to help it then? What sort of ruffage should I add to his diet?

ETA: will pop him into the vets tomorrow.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2009, 09:35 PM
It does sound like anal glands. Our vet shown us how to do it, but I still prefer to take them down to the vets though
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 09:36 PM
It can be uncomfortabel and feel a bit weird
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I give Dori All Bran which helps her when she has it bad. Never given any to peat as his normally only lasts a day if that.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry about my ignorance, i know about anal glands and obviously where they are ...sort of... exactly where are they and can you see them ? never had any probs with this but i would like to know what i'm looking for in case........
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Fudge had blocked anal glands for a while and they emptied eventually on their own but we did take her to the vets to get it all checked out. I bought some bran from a health food store and poured a little in with her food. If his stools are firm they should be emptying naturally but sometimes they need a little hand!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh maaaaaaaaaan Pidge wait 'til the vet empties them, if you think you're gonna be sick now...
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Apart from the smell is there any other way you can tell if the anal glands need seeing too? its something i have never really heard about until the last couple of years . We have had 2 dogs in the past, and didn't even know these glands were there. we were never told by our vets about them. this was before most people had pc's and the internet. god i'm feeling old.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Apart from the smell is there any other way you can tell if the anal glands need seeing too? its something i have never really heard about until the last couple of years . We have had 2 dogs in the past, and didn't even know these glands were there. we were never told by our vets about them. this was before most people had pc's and the internet. god i'm feeling old.
If they do that dragging-bum-across-floor thing it can mean they need them doing. Most dogs have no problem as they empty naturally as they poo but if a dog has soft poops on a regular basis then they are more prone to problems.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
If they do that dragging-bum-across-floor thing it can mean they need them doing. Most dogs have no problem as they empty naturally as they poo but if a dog has soft poops on a regular basis then they are more prone to problems.
So if my dog drags his bottom on the floor, it might not just be worms ? not that he has ever had worms, i worm him on a regular basis. thanks for that. you learn somthing new every day on dogsey.
just wondering , what are the anal glands used for, is it scent marking?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >