View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I forgot to say, the police may also be interested in this. I would contact them also and see what they say.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 06:02 PM
I think this is a classic case of an owner who doesnt really care enough - I am sorry but if he thinks its finny that his dog runs in the road - not only could the dog get HIMself killed he could cause a traffic accident - and thats not the drivers fault - also what about the poor person who runs him over.

Sorry but that man clearly doesnt care for his dog if he thinks its ok for him to fight, wander and cause traffic mayhem.

I would be inclined to do as you have suggested and take the dog home, contact the warden advise the situation with the man and the scenario that you dont know where he lives etc to return the dog. However I do think this man clearly needs a kick up the a** - if this dog dies at the fate of another dog or a car then he will just get another dog and treat it the same way.

Also if this was a staffie/rottie/dobe etc who was allowed to do this I dont think this would be deemed in any way acceptable - because its a small dog it cant do any harm??

Not meant to be a rant but this owner DOESNT care if his dog or others come to harm and that is irresponsible.

Well done for trying to make a difference but personally it would appear that the best thing for this dog is a flipping lead held by someone other than this plonker !
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post

Also if this was a staffie/rottie/dobe etc who was allowed to do this I dont think this would be deemed in any way acceptable - because its a small dog it cant do any harm??
Funnily enough exactly what i thought. apart from the owner of the Lhasas he attacked who was understandably upset, everyone else on the field seemed to take a sort of well his dog, his problem sort of attitude. I totally agree with you. I bet if this was a Staffie running riot, attacking dogs and getting under cars there would be outrage!

I remember the terrible things I was told about the owner of an English Bull Mastiff one day when I entered the same field. "His dog is running crazy and he had no control, watch out" I was told. "Only a matter of time till someone gets mauled!"... A bit later on the walk, you can imagine what I was thinking as this massive and powerful dog ran straight for little puppy Kismet, mouth wide... My concern soon turned to laughter however as she began to roll about and play with what turned out to be the lovable and silly 8 month old Puppy Oscar! They are still firm friends
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 07:01 PM
I would do as you had planned, take him home and call the dog warden but tell them you will keep him if no-one comes forward, then give him to your auntie if his owner doesn't claim him. Just make damn sure no one sees you. Poor wee thing will end up dead one way or another if left like this.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Funnily enough exactly what i thought. apart from the owner of the Lhasas he attacked who was understandably upset, everyone else on the field seemed to take a sort of well his dog, his problem sort of attitude. I totally agree with you. I bet if this was a Staffie running riot, attacking dogs and getting under cars there would be outrage!

I remember the terrible things I was told about the owner of an English Bull Mastiff one day when I entered the same field. "His dog is running crazy and he had no control, watch out" I was told. "Only a matter of time till someone gets mauled!"... A bit later on the walk, you can imagine what I was thinking as this massive and powerful dog ran straight for little puppy Kismet, mouth wide... My concern soon turned to laughter however as she began to roll about and play with what turned out to be the lovable and silly 8 month old Puppy Oscar! They are still firm friends
its exactly why it gets my back up as just because he is little its deemed ok.
Oscar sounds gorgeous xx

Good luck with the next meeting, but I really think the guy doesnt deserve this dog. Or at least deserves a kick to get himself a bit more responsible.
Katie Borrowman
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2009, 07:16 PM
I think you more than anything need to be careful if you are going to challenge this man with regards to his dog, he may get defensive.

Some people just think it is ok to allow their dogs to run about presuming they will look after themselves, I'm particularly sensitive to it as my dog was attacked by another dog who was off the lead and without a collar on, thankfully I had my dog on the lead at the time otherwise it would have been very messy!

I agree with reporting it to the proper authorities and not getting yourself too involved for your own safety.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2009, 07:29 PM
speak to the dog warden keep a note of the times you see this little dog. i wouldnt pick him up and take him hme cos youll get into trouble i had a similar problem a few years back and told the dog warden who said if you know who the dog belongs to you cant take it otherwise the police could charge us. even if you say he had no collar on youve already spoken to the owner so they will know you know who th owner is. def speak to the warden about the fight and the dog running in the road they will then speak to the guy and warn him
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I'd have a chat with the dog warden and see if they could locate the man and help advise him on keeping the dog under control and safe.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I would do as you planned to... thats an accident waiting to happen poor little guy.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm going to try and take his business details off his van next time i see him, then give the dog warden a ring...

Probably more sensible than my initial gut reaction to just take his dog away...

See if you just wait and listen to the good dogsey folk, they rarely steer you wrong
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2