Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Hello Fluffy,

I love all these names.:smt049

I'm doing so much more in the last few weeks with my pc than the last 8 years and its having help from my friends online.

It helps having a reasonably upto date pc though this has probably been overtaken. Its quicker than the original. Prices were different back then but we were overcharged terrifically and though it saw me ok until December last year, the difference in both price and what this can do is noticeable.

I know that a few have come from elsewhere to be here where we have had a warm welcome so if you have not been back for a few days and are reading this, after promising to look into the views of the users and to come back with an answer, the best they have offered is maybe to switch the smileys on(but not yet)and take a look again at the colours used for the background and text(but not yet)

Its World War Three over there!

But hey, we're here so...

Thanks Again

Gildy
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by The Great Gildersleeve
Its World War Three over there!
Hiya, I just been over to take a look and I was very saddened. All the good folk typing in desperation to save the boards that were used frequently and loved by many. Sadder still that some find other sites difficult to navigate and so may therefore loose touch with firm cyber friends.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Hi Gilder, thanks for all that information as I have tried to turn my front garden into a wild bird sanctuary too. I just loved the pics of the falcon and we actually had one land on our front lawn every evening a couple of summers ago (sadly not since then) and he would eat a pigeon only feet away from us watching over the top of my stable door. Somebody in the know told me to put a piece of meat in one of the trees and he would stay in our garden forever, but sadly he didn't. I have loads of bird feeders around and I love to watch them all feeding, and of course I feed my squirrells separately with hazlenuts so that they don't rob too much from my birds.

I think I will enjoy your input here about wildlife and birds and hope I can ask you questions in the future as you seem to know so much, whereas I know very little, I look forward to that.
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Very interesting messages and photos Gildy, I will read them again when I've calmed down fron WW3
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Chickadeedeedee
Hi there Gildy.

I have done a similar planting with wildlife in mind too. A little pond, lots of stones and logs for toads and salamanders to hide beneath, moss and ferns galore. Flowering plants for our hummingbirds and holly for robins and others.

There are patches of millet, many sunflower varieties, blueberries and strawberries that the birds really love here and there in our yard!

I really love it that this year we had Mallard ducks coming daily for a visit as well as a few herring gulls. We had 18 hummingbirds counted this August and so many birds nesting in or near our yard.

I hope they come back next year!

C3D
Good Evening Chickadeedeedee,

I'm guessing that its heading towards late afternoon/early evening where you are.

I was interested in your post about what you are managing to do in your garden. It is amazing how the wildlife adapts to the environment it finds itself.

So you have Hummingbirds too. That's not to say I have any over here(wish I did)but my friend in California does. A problem she had a few months ago was with the feeders as they use a kind of sweetened liquid and it was attracting wasps(I think)so she had to stop for awhile but has started again.

She's built a pond in recent months too.

I'm going to try and grow some Sunflowers against a fence supported by canes next year but by the time I am finished I think the outside borders of the garden will have shrubs and bushes leaving the lawns free for the birds to walk on but I hope they may hide in or behind the newly planted items,of course it will take a couple of years for things to grow and then I may decide to move some things or if there are too many items I'll have to decide what to take out.

In recent months the birds have started to eat as well as we do basically anything we cannot finish or if you have to buy a larger amount of something they benefit.

Its good to have some international input and that you like to tell what's happening over there and hear what's happening over here

Like you many of us are new so we'll find our way together.

Take Care

Gilders
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Dear Gildy, thanks for all the little messages you are sending me from the dogweb. Talk to you soon, Curmy.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm looking into Broadband which should improve accessability to my posting and make it easier(I hope)but also into the idea of Fluffy's to get an account at Photobucket, not forgtting Ashlady's suggestion of looking at information on this site.

May hopefully get things moving over the weekend.

G
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Gildy, you won't regret going on Broadband, the only thing is, because you're not worrying its costing so much a minute, its easy to get carried away and not get anything else done ! Curmy.
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Oh yes that's so true! I very often spend all evening watching TV with cat on lap, the laptop to one side, glass of wine to the other, surfing the internet at the same time I don't know where the time goes!
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Fluffy and Curmy,

I use Madasafish as my ISP and have thought of switching but they seem ok and they do a basic broadband for £15.99(I think)I'd have to recheck and if I sign up I think I get two months for free. Think I have to sign up for 12 months.

I'll get a modem and some things that you have to add to the phoneline that stops interference and allows calls to be made whilst I am online.

I am not on a pay per minute dial up but I think that I pay £13 per month and I've never overstepped the mark yet to know if I am on too much. But its supposedly unmetered, the only thing is after two hours it disconnects me and I have to redial.

Gildy X
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »