Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:09 PM
What was wrong with the Halti? I use one for Bo and it works well. Doesn't ride up to the eyes or anything. She doesn't like it but that is another story.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Thats really helpful, I could try this in other aspects too.

Thank you.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I tried all of these methods with Dexter, for months on end. Ultimately the only thing that helped was getting a very experienced trainer in to actually show me what I was doing wrong, and also to teach me *how* to give the commands in a way that my dog would respond to. I literally had to walk around the house practising saying 'heel' in a way that was firm yet positive... .

The training, combined with using a headcollar, did the trick, as it enabled me to praise the better behaviour.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What was wrong with the Halti? I use one for Bo and it works well. Doesn't ride up to the eyes or anything. She doesn't like it but that is another story.
It rides up into Louie's eyes, it did so with Kiera, Angel (neighbours dogs) and Benjie - they all had one at one point..

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I tried all of these methods with Dexter, for months on end. Ultimately the only thing that helped was getting a very experienced trainer in to actually show me what I was doing wrong, and also to teach me *how* to give the commands in a way that my dog would respond to. I literally had to walk around the house practising saying 'heel' in a way that was firm yet positive... .

The training, combined with using a headcollar, did the trick, as it enabled me to praise the better behaviour.
I know that Tabitha - I'm not completely new to dog training you know However I am new to dogs that don't give up easy.. every other dog I have walked has given up pulling pretty easy, with equipment or the methods.
Louie is a challenge though.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post

I know that Tabitha - I'm not completely new to dog training you know However I am new to dogs that don't give up easy.. every other dog I have walked has given up pulling pretty easy, with equipment or the methods.
Louie is a challenge though.

Oh, I wasn't for a minute implying you were!

My comments were just in case anyone out there reading had similar problems to what I went through with Dexter, that's all.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:48 PM
You could try these....

http://www.mekuti.co.uk/harness_shop.htm

I got them for both Lula and Beau for when we run but it has made a huge difference when I walk both of them, lifes a lot easier now
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Oh, I wasn't for a minute implying you were!

My comments were just in case anyone out there reading had similar problems to what I went through with Dexter, that's all.
I know, I know, I know hence the wink

But a good workman never blames his tools though so if anyone training their dog blames the equipment they are using - they obviously think too highly of themselves...

I need the equipment to help with walking around the nearest walk to us because until his instincts get lost a little or my training kicks in (damn teenager) I cannot walk around the lake without arm ache
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
You could try these....

http://www.mekuti.co.uk/harness_shop.htm

I got them for both Lula and Beau for when we run but it has made a huge difference when I walk both of them, lifes a lot easier now
I could try that - I'm going to try this black dog head collar again see if I can get it right before I spend more money..that I don't have.

I don't like sending things back - they might be useful in the future.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Which black dog headcollar did you try? I've heard good things about the infin8
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >