View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 09:31 PM
pleased you got the vets hun and every thing is crossed look forward to hearing from you tom after you have been there. I am sure a bit of med will make a big diffrence in your baby. hugs to you both
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi Magpye panting can be associated with pain, I would guess you old girl isn't very comfortable. Is she on any medication? My nieces old Collie has trouble with her joints, none of the supplements seem to have helped much at all but but since being prescribed Metacalm Jody is more comfortable and walking better.

I don't think pain killers are a good idea long term but with ageing dogs I think one has to weigh up what is best for them overall. Also giving a supplement as a prophylactic may help long term but there can come a time when a dog needs a little more help to cope with pain.

I dreaded my old dog going on medication for her bad heart fearing it was the beginning of the end, but I needn't have worried, the medication helped her considerably.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Be careful with metacam its a drug that is hard on old timers. I would only use it on the short term and nobody should tell you what is right for your girl other than your vet and your intuition.
Janet M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Good luck at the vets today, my retriever Morgan, who is nearly 12 was on Metacan for a very short period and it helped him a lot, he now has GlycoFlex daily just to keep his joints healthy, although he can no longer jump into the back of my car, so I just give his back end a little lift. He is a happy old guy and that is the main thing.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-08-2008, 08:37 AM
i agree she does sound in pain. my 7yr old springer has stiff front legs someone mentioned green lipped mussels to me so rushed out and bought some the lady told me her 12 yr old springer couldnt walk but hes like a puppy ruinning around now good luck
I try and get everyone to try these as they did so great with Jake. Magpye, if you want to try some with Selkie drop me a PM with your address and i'll send you a load for free, they are just being wasted here.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by kingbenny View Post
I try and get everyone to try these as they did so great with Jake. Magpye, if you want to try some with Selkie drop me a PM with your address and i'll send you a load for free, they are just being wasted here.
Would these work on a younger dog? My Lurcher Cassie is a bit stiff in the back legs (when she came to us she often pulled something after running about too much and limped) but she is only 3 1/2. I think she was run too much when she was too young so i was after something to improve her joints now.

Is cod liver oil tablets the same as people have or do they have to be dog ones?
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Razcox, they work wonders on young dogs, my old boss had some recue foxhounds that has premature arthritis at about 3 years old, she used these and they worked great. One Seatone tablet a day (from Boots) and alot of people see a diffrence in about 3 weeks. jake could sit for the first time in years after I got him on them!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by kingbenny View Post
Razcox, they work wonders on young dogs, my old boss had some recue foxhounds that has premature arthritis at about 3 years old, she used these and they worked great. One Seatone tablet a day (from Boots) and alot of people see a diffrence in about 3 weeks. jake could sit for the first time in years after I got him on them!

Thanks for that! We will get some the weekend.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Kingbenny, I have PM'd you. I'd love to try the mussels and if you have some you could send over, that would be great. I'll let you know how she gets on with them...

Vets just called, They have an emergency at a local farm and have asked if I mind postponing Selkie's appointment till 5.10 as she is not urgent, she's sleeping at the moment, so seems fine...

You'll have to wait till about 6 for an update.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
I am sorry, if you would like Reiki for her please put a picture up and I will send it to her.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >