View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 02:45 PM
When my lot all had KC it affected them all differently. The oldest coughed once, the next oldest threw up mucus a couple of times, the next one did a lot of throwing up but was fine in himself and the puppy (only a few months old) was really quite poorly, despite me getting antibiotics for him as a precaution. If they are otherwise healthy and are adult, they only need abs if it develops into pneumonia, which it shouldn't do.

When I took mine to the vet, I waited outside in the car and he cleared the way for me to rush him through the waiting room to avoid infection any other dogs. They must have wondered what sort of monster was on its way in!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
When my lot all had KC it affected them all differently. The oldest coughed once, the next oldest threw up mucus a couple of times, the next one did a lot of throwing up but was fine in himself and the puppy (only a few months old) was really quite poorly, despite me getting antibiotics for him as a precaution. If they are otherwise healthy and are adult, they only need abs if it develops into pneumonia, which it shouldn't do.

When I took mine to the vet, I waited outside in the car and he cleared the way for me to rush him through the waiting room to avoid infection any other dogs. They must have wondered what sort of monster was on its way in!

Very interesting, many thanks

Update:

Have watched Dex like a hawk all day and he not only seems fine, but in fact full of beans!

Full of mischief, good appetite, no retching or anything... I am thinking maybe it was 'empty tummy' syndrome...

Took him to the park BUT kept him on Flexi and did not let him meet any other dogs, or drink from the communal water bowl, just to be on the safe side.

If it happens again tonight then of course I will be taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow...

THANKS SO MUCH to all of you for answering - greatly appreciated!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2011, 05:09 PM
As long as he is OK now - these dogs, they really put us through the wringer. Huggles for him.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
As long as he is OK now - these dogs, they really put us through the wringer. Huggles for him.
Thanks MALKA

Yes, they do, you are right
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Last night Dexter retched once, but I'm not taking any chances so this afternoon we're going to the vet. Warned the receptionist that the symptoms might possibly imply KC so she's given us a time when nobody else will be there.

Now it also looks like poor Dex might have a bit of conjunctivitus (spelling??) in one eye so we'd have been going anyway even if he hadn't retched again!
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2011, 11:16 AM
The exact same thing happened to Maggie a few weeks ago, loads of coughing and retching up white foam (also early morning)...rushed her to the vet by which time she'd stopped, a couple of tiny coughs later on then nothing!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
UPDATE

We saw a different vet, a locum. Not as nice as our usual vet, but she seemed thorough.

She said Dex definitely has a sore throat and it feels a bit swollen when she examined the neck area. She doesn't think it's KC as she says there would be more retching/coughing. However, she has put him on anti biotics.

He also has conjunctivitus and so now has to have eye drops twice daily.

He was very lively still - until shortly after I gave him the first anti biotic. Now he's fast asleep.

Once again, thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
UPDATE

We saw a different vet, a locum. Not as nice as our usual vet, but she seemed thorough.

She said Dex definitely has a sore throat and it feels a bit swollen when she examined the neck area. She doesn't think it's KC as she says there would be more retching/coughing. However, she has put him on anti biotics.

He also has conjunctivitus and so now has to have eye drops twice daily.

He was very lively still - until shortly after I gave him the first anti biotic. Now he's fast asleep.

Glad it's nothing serious TabithaJ, they defo no how to worries us.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
UPDATE

Any inflammation of the respiratory system can be called kennel cough so I would treat it as such when deciding whether to mix with other dogs or not. I'm glad it's not too serious though!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Any inflammation of the respiratory system can be called kennel cough so I would treat it as such when deciding whether to mix with other dogs or not. I'm glad it's not too serious though!

Thanks so much

And yes, I think you are spot on re not mixing with other dogs. Oh well, guess there are going to be a couple of lonely female dogs at our local park, without Dexter there to keep them company...::

PROMARC:

Thanks so much
Yes, they do indeed get us worried, bless'em!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2