View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2011, 06:06 PM
have you tried giving him garlic? my collie x has been suffering from interdigital cysts since june last year and has been on and of AB and steroids i have been giving her 1 garlic capsule and 1 fenugreek capsule i get them from holland and barrett they are supposed to boost her immune system and since she has been on them it has kept them at bay and i have been spraying her paws with tea tree spray for dogs
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 06:49 PM
I'll try anything to boost his immune system, so thanks for that Kirsty! However, I think when they've got cushings, it could be a pointless exercise, but I'll give it a whirl.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Helena, my heart sank to my boots when I read this thread - you and Georgie don't deserve this.

The key thing, in my mind, is that you keep stressing that he is happy and healthy and not in pain. Obviously if the wretched mange was causing him huge distress then you would not be agonising so much over this, because you would know what to do.................it is such a dreadfully grey area isn't it.

As long as he is happy and cheerful, then plug on and fight on. The time to think of putting an end to this has not yet arrived, and if and when it does you will recognise it. You know your animals.

The trouble is, with elderly dogs who have dramatic medical problems, it rather takes over your life doesn't it. Every day you are watching them like hawks, waiting for a change in attitude whilst desperately trying the alleviate the symptoms. The worry is indescribable, and if you are like me, housework and other mundane tasks such as making meals are totally out of the question! The awareness is constantly there that they cannot go on forever, and being a caring loving owner you are fearful of missing the "right time" and going on a little too long.

Somehow I don't think that you will do that -but be it days, weeks, months or years, just try not to become too downhearted and make the most of him still being a happy chappy.xxx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'll try anything to boost his immune system, so thanks for that Kirsty! However, I think when they've got cushings, it could be a pointless exercise, but I'll give it a whirl.
is he on medication for his cushings? sorry if its a silly question
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Helena, my heart sank to my boots when I read this thread - you and Georgie don't deserve this.

The key thing, in my mind, is that you keep stressing that he is happy and healthy and not in pain. Obviously if the wretched mange was causing him huge distress then you would not be agonising so much over this, because you would know what to do.................it is such a dreadfully grey area isn't it.

As long as he is happy and cheerful, then plug on and fight on. The time to think of putting an end to this has not yet arrived, and if and when it does you will recognise it. You know your animals.

The trouble is, with elderly dogs who have dramatic medical problems, it rather takes over your life doesn't it. Every day you are watching them like hawks, waiting for a change in attitude whilst desperately trying the alleviate the symptoms. The worry is indescribable, and if you are like me, housework and other mundane tasks such as making meals are totally out of the question! The awareness is constantly there that they cannot go on forever, and being a caring loving owner you are fearful of missing the "right time" and going on a little too long.Somehow I don't think that you will do that -but be it days, weeks, months or years, just try not to become too downhearted and make the most of him still being a happy chappy.xxx
Oh you're definitely spot on there Sally!!! Dave just came home and said he didn't sleep all night coz he was worried about Georgie, so I thought Georgie was distressed overnight, but Dave said it wasn't because of Georgie, but he was thinking about the fact we might actually have to say goodbye to him this time

On top of all that I've had Zena off her food all day (until just now ), so poor Dave has got even more to worry about tonight!!!! Actually, I think Zena honed into my worry over Georgie last night when I was scrubbing him at 10 o'clock!!! She's not daft, she knew something was up.

Dave just reminded me though, if I find it stressful NOW in my relatively old age, how am I going to be when Zena reaches his age!!!! No, I won't even think about that!!!

All is well tonight, Zena has eaten, Georgie isn't scratching, and I really couldn't wish for better could I!!!! xxxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:26 PM
So sorry to hear this H Lovely old Georgie boy. I know you will do whatever you can for the old lad while he is still happy and enjoying life. What else can you do? It is absolute agony knowing their time is coming and knowing that, ultimately, there isn't anything you can do about it I would speak to your usual vet and insist you try the baths you mention, and then take it from there. Enjoy every moment with him in between, and try to take each day as it comes xxx I will be thinking of you, Dave, Georgie and Zena.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Have you ever tried advocate for his mange it works really well for my oldie ?
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:39 PM
http://www.mange.org.uk/
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Sending hugs and kisses to you all.

Never easy is it.....

xxxx