View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
redswannie
New Member!
Female 

05-09-2009, 12:44 PM
As you suggest, we checked his mouth and teeth and all seems well. Gums are salmon pink, no teeth appear to be broken.

I spent some time on the web this week, looking for possible reasons. I had thought, based on his symptoms, that Bronx has constipation, but the soft feces doesn't really fit does it?

Bronx usually has a complete dry food with canned meat chunks in a gravy - because he likes his food moist. He doesn't usually have kibble, but I can give it a go.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I've had a look in my book and from the symptoms you describe, bearing in mind I can't see the dog.
Painful inflammation or infection of the mouth tissues is called stomatitis. Possible causes include cuts and burns and periodontal disease, stick injuries especially in the back of the mouth are also a common and potentially serious cause. Serious metabolic diseases such as kidney failure, advanced diabetes and autoimmune conditions may also cause stomatitis.
The dog will dribble saliva and have bad breath and may have difficulty eating. Pain may cause some dogs to resent being examined. An accurate diagnosis is required which may include various blood tests.
Treatment obviously depends on the cause of the problem and anti biotics are almost always used.
So vets on Monday then.
redswannie
New Member!
Female 

05-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Trouble - thanks for your willingness to help and advise.
Yes, we'll visit the vets on Monday and see what's what.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2009, 01:00 PM
You're welcome, lets hope it's something minor x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I hope Bronx improves or that all goes well at the vets on Monday.
Are you certain there is nothing stuck in his throat? I humans, at least, a sure sign of a foreign body lodged in the throat is dribbling.
If he is eating so little he will have problems defaecating. Is he drinking?
The best of luck to you and him anyway
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your poor dog suffering like this. I am at a loss too, although my suspiscions also point to a blockage, be it in his throat, or something that WAS stuck in his throat has maybe caused an infection or a tear. When you say you've looked in his mouth, have you looked up in the roof of his mouth? I only ask, coz my puppy once got a cotton bud wedged right across the top of her mouth, held in place by her teeth either side, but luckily for me, because she went upside down for me to look in there, I saw it in the top,otherwise, with the dog sitting, you might miss something like this? Take another look if you haven't already, and good luck at the vets on Monday coz you'll have to go if he's still like this. Give him a hug from me poor boy, there's definitely something not right isn't there.
redswannie
New Member!
Female 

05-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Nippy & Helena54 - thanks both for your comments.
As far as I can tell his mouth and throat look clear, although I will make a special point of looking next time he's on his back!

This afternoon I tried to tempt Bronx with a health stick which he usually relishes, but he took it, walked away a couple of feet, dropped it, turned his back and laid down. No interest whatsoever.

I feel so utterly helpless. As Trouble said, I hope it turns out to be something remarkably simply.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 03:58 PM
So sorry to hear your lovely boy is unwell.

Hope the vets visit gets you a diagnosis and that it's just something easily sortable.

Hugs hon xx
redswannie
New Member!
Female 

06-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks Vicki. I will post an update.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Hope all is well. Once had a dog like this. It eventually turned out to be a growth in her stomach. Hope this is not the case with your dog. Good luck with your vets appointment.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >