View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 07:53 PM
hey, i have a 7 yr old bichon and he has been an absolute delight to own. He was quite destructive when little (chewing through wires) and he was very hard to house train, but then i do think with the correct training and knowledge it shouldnt be a problem.
He grew up with 3 teenagers but now lives with 4 yr old. He has never ever growled at us and is the sweetest dog ive met, really enjoying his cuddles. He enjoyed many walks when he was younger, as far as 11 miles before not so much now he is older, but he has his moments

all i can suggest as others have said is to buy off a good breeder, we had terrible skin problems with him, to the extent that his back was bleeding where he would chew it. He had exema (sp?) i believe. Hes since grown out of it mind you, but does suffer with luxating patella (dislocating knee caps) which i believe are hereditary? someone might be able to clarify that, but im sure proper breeding can surely avoid this? But this has since caused arthritis.

Anyhoo, lovely dogs to own and would definetely recommend them. He is great with the 4 yr old and loves other dogs and have never been aggressive. Just a delight
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
hey, i have a 7 yr old bichon and he has been an absolute delight to own. He was quite destructive when little (chewing through wires) and he was very hard to house train, but then i do think with the correct training and knowledge it shouldnt be a problem.
He grew up with 3 teenagers but now lives with 4 yr old. He has never ever growled at us and is the sweetest dog ive met, really enjoying his cuddles. He enjoyed many walks when he was younger, as far as 11 miles before not so much now he is older, but he has his moments

all i can suggest as others have said is to buy off a good breeder, we had terrible skin problems with him, to the extent that his back was bleeding where he would chew it. He had exema (sp?) i believe. Hes since grown out of it mind you, but does suffer with luxating patella (dislocating knee caps) which i believe are hereditary? someone might be able to clarify that, but im sure proper breeding can surely avoid this? But this has since caused arthritis.

Anyhoo, lovely dogs to own and would definetely recommend them. He is great with the 4 yr old and loves other dogs and have never been aggressive. Just a delight
Yeah I think you're right they do suffer from that and Legges Perthes (sp?) disease, whatever that is when it's at home!
My Sisters breeder had the litter heart tested, but as far as I know they don't have any heart problems?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Yeah I think you're right they do suffer from that and Legges Perthes (sp?) disease, whatever that is when it's at home!
My Sisters breeder had the litter heart tested, but as far as I know they don't have any heart problems?
not sure .

this is what dog breed info says
Some are prone to watery eyes, cataracts, skin and ear ailments, also epilepsy and dislocated kneecaps. They can be very sensitive to flea bites.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bichonfrise.htm
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny

Hiya Jenny, I didn't realise your Bichon has sufferered skin problems too - I was just wondering what sort of age was he when he grew out of them because it would be truly wonderful if the same thing happened to Benji. Do you feed him on anything special at the moment to help his skin?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 08:13 PM
hey, im not sure what age. i remember he got it when he was a puppy. I think he grew out of it at about 2 or 3, i dont seem to remember him havin the prob then. I think he got cream for it when it was really bad and it kinda went after a while. Hes fed on nature diet at the moment, other foods with additives seem to make him itchy and he'll bite himself. He doesnt seem to do this on nature diet.
But hes not had anything like the exema he had when he was a puppy.

how olds ur bichon at the mo
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Meganrose
Hi, Thanks for the info. We're in South Cumbria.
Hiya! Whereabouts in South Cumbria are you? I am from South Cumbria but now live in North Lancashire. I would love to see pics of your GSDs - and good luck with your search for a Bichon.

Foxy - your little lad is soooooo cute
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks Jenny.... I'm totally hooked and helpless.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2