View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
colliesrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2006, 02:18 PM
i knew a dog who went into anaphalactic (sp?) shock after being treated with the spot-on. thankfully his owner was with him at the time and got him to the vets immediately as he very nearly died.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 07:40 PM
LS did you just get a pipette or was it in a box???
I seem to remember the box has a very good information bit on it, which is worth a read.
I'm sure I read there can be problems with it. We do use it, but my BC hates it so we only do it if we really have to.
Could Loki have picked something up in Wales? Always worth doing some sort of anti tick treatment before going walking there...
Not sure what I would do if i were you, think, given Loki's problems, I would err on the side of caution, read the box 50 times (!!!!) and do a zillion internet searches. I'd also possibly try and get in touch with the company that make it. Better safe than sorry.
Ailsa xxxx
ps if you do use it, remember not to stroke him for 12 hours....(until the site is dry).
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by colliesrus
i knew a dog who went into anaphalactic (sp?) shock after being treated with the spot-on. thankfully his owner was with him at the time and got him to the vets immediately as he very nearly died.
My vet gave me the Frontline spray for my dogs, as he wasn't comfortable with using the spot on treatment for my collie (although it would be ok for my GSD). Collies, in particular, can apparently have a severe reaction to one of the chemicals used, and in some cases, the dogs have died I assume the same chemical isn't in the spray. I will have to ask him about it again next time I go in.

Does anyone else have information on the chemical used in spot-on which can adversely affect collies?
Kira87
New Member!
Female 

03-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Has anyone seen any health issues come about from using Frontline? We will have to treat Loki for fleas for the first time ever and the vet wants to give us Frontline but I thought I heard somewhere that it can cause seizures?
Up until I got Kira we used to use frontline on ours and had no problems with seizures although Kira is actually allergic to frontline so we had been using Advantage but after some research we have now found a natural/ herbal remedie that does fleas, tics and mites that we will try out next!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli
Does anyone else have information on the chemical used in spot-on which can adversely affect collies?
Hi Moobli, some collies BC/RC are particularly hypersensitive to Ivermectin. I have posted links with info above in posts 9 and 10...also do a google search for 'collies Ivermectin' there is lots of info about it .
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Linda, do you have a homeopathic vet in your area? it might be worth trying a homeopathic treatment for fleas if your worried about the more conventional methods
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2006, 09:15 AM
I used to use Frontline all the time with no problems on one of my dogs. Frontline Combo however, was the most likely cause of a reaction I saw in my young dog so haven't used it since. In fact don't use anything chemical for fleas now. Do you really need to treat Loki or is it just precautionary, like I used to dose?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Moobli, some collies BC/RC are particularly hypersensitive to Ivermectin. I have posted links with info above in posts 9 and 10...also do a google search for 'collies Ivermectin' there is lots of info about it .
Thanks - off to read them now.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi all
the stuff about collies and frontline is really interesting. Haven't got time to read the links now or google on it, but fully intend to. Our BC HATES the frontline spot on, he paces up and down and can't settle and looks really unhappy when it's put on for at good hour or two. We always assumed (probably totally incorrectly in retrospect) that he just didn't like the sensation as every other dog we've had has been fine with it. Interesting stuff. Thanks everyone.
PaulaB
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2006, 03:30 PM
I have been using frontline on my RC now for a while, with 3 cats and one dog we had a flea infestation that nothing would get rid of. There have been no effects apart from watching fleas die on her and her relaxing as she isn't being bitten anymore.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >