View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:18 AM
I say... What on earth do you want to do that for... do you KNOW how many dogs are in rescue... and do you know what the chances are that you`ll find decent homes for them... and have you thought about vets bills if it goes wrong it`s not like shelling peas you know... etc etc
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:36 AM
I meet loads of people in PAH who breed - I never feel I can say anything as much as I would like to, but I would feel rude. However if people come in looking for puppies from a pet shop, thats different - they get a BIG rant!!! They do not know whats hit them
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Sorry was ot
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I havent been told in the park, but have a friend who is wanting to breed, i have told her about health testing etc, but it appears she will take any stud dog (doesnt even appear to need to be the same breed), so sure i fell on deaf ears.

The only thing i never thought to mention was the breeder taking responsibility for the pups for life, with the possibility of having them back if the new place fails etc, but then to be honest i really dont believe she would believe that either and just say oh no they would just get rid elsewhere we wouldnt have to have them back.

I am not sure how i would react to a stranger, cos i am a bit of a wimp so probably wouldnt want to risk confrontation.
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Like most, I am not sure how I would react to strangers but I have managed to put three people off breeding their dogs

I just sent them links to local rescues as well as risks and all the checks they should do before allowing their dogs to breed.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't say anything as in the majority of cases, it would be like banging my head against a brick wall. And as much as it annoys me and as irresponsible I think it is 9 times out of 10, it is none of my business really.

If I know the person however, then yes I would play the smart-ar*se and read them the breeding riot act. It is easy to put people off.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Some people have said it to me, so I normally say something like "oh right, people kept telling me not to get Alfie neutered as he would have lovely puppies, but I decided I didn't want to add to the amount of dogs in this world when so many need homes as it is really"

I don't try and force any information down their throats, just hopefully give them something to think about.

Depends on the person though, if I get the feeling that I will be ignored either way, then I don't say anything, but if I get the feeling they MIGHT listen, then I do say something.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Omg dont even get me started...the old fella next door has already built a whelping box for their 16wk old GSD!!

I talk to his grandaughter quite often & keep telling her that IF they are going to breed her they need healthtests done, that there are 1000s of dogs in rescue, how are they going to cope with upto 8 pups running around when he doesnt like the one theyve got digging up his prized garden!!!! Awww man i could go on & on & on !!!
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Because I am a trainer, I get people asking me all types of questions, some about breeding, and I have a handout sheet with facts printed on it. If they are coming to me for pet obedience and agility training, then IMO they're not ready to breed yet. By the time they've been coming a year I've usually changed their minds ..... with the exception of one lady who is intent on breeding her Staffie - lovely as she is (the doggy) she is a Staffie, well bred, but we parted company. Insofar as meeting someone in the park, they'd get the same response from me I'm afraid, although it's not really any of my business I know, I would feel as though I'd be letting the rescue centres down if I didn't at least TRY to make a difference.

That's just me though, I've worked in rescue centres for years, all my dogs are rescues but some of my best friends are breeders and I do understand what's involved in having litters of puppies!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Some people have said it to me, so I normally say something like "oh right, people kept telling me not to get Alfie neutered as he would have lovely puppies, but I decided I didn't want to add to the amount of dogs in this world when so many need homes as it is really"

I don't try and force any information down their throats, just hopefully give them something to think about.

Depends on the person though, if I get the feeling that I will be ignored either way, then I don't say anything, but if I get the feeling they MIGHT listen, then I do say something.
That is a good reply, cos a lot of people say that to me, having two springers, they assume we plan to breed them, so it might put off some if i used the no we have had them done spiel cos there is no good reason for us to breed etc
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >