View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally I didn't do any reading/studying. But I've learnt quite a bit more in the last couple of years, from being on dogsey, from reading various studies and things (some of which I find really interesting, even if I don't agree with all the different methods) and from helping out at the local rescue.

I think one of the main things that my time volunteering (and having my own 'more challenging' rescues) is how to read a dogs body language. When I first started helping out, I was much slower to spot the signs of say, a dog uncomfortable with another too close.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i learnt tall about dogs working in rescue centres
You mean you learnt all you know about dogs working in a rescue centre. No one knows all about dogs---not even me (G)!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
for those who have not done the whole reading up thing, be it books, studies or whatever,

do you think doing all the homework would improve your ability?
You learn so much from everything, then you store it away and it pops out when needed, at least that s how it should work!

So I would imagine the reading etc is bound to help if you are open to it.

rune
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Read a bunch of books, when I was wee we used to go to the library every week with the school, all my pals got story books and I got them on animals and animal care, dog training, cat breeds, anything, I was a bit odd.

So when I got my first dog I was a bit clued up, learnt along the way, helped other people, learnt from other people and each different dog. I have to say though, Maddy has taught me more than anything else.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Having grown up with various family dogs I have now been around dogs for over 60 years .

I decided I wanted to work with dogs when I was quite small and on leaving school I got a job as a trainee Kennel Maid in a large kennel of show dogs . In those days (1960s) 'hobby kennels' with a large staff of Kennel Maids were not unusual .

I was subsequently employed in a number of kennels and worked my way up to be a junior partner in a kennel owned by the Secretary of Manchester Championship show. Both he and his wife were international judges and had many years of showing/judging/breeding experience, they were happy to teach me all they could. I also learnt from working with professional handlers /vets/famous judges from all around the world who came to stay at the house.

Research into canine behaviour has improved our understanding of dogs over the years and had an effect on the method we use to train them. I try to stay informed about 'the latest thinking' and I am learning new things about dogs all the time.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I've worked with animals and always had pets and been passionate about riding and I learnt from my own pets and from other more experienced people but it wasnt until I went on -line in 2000 and joined forums that I realised that I didn't know how much I didn't know!

I've learnt so much from discussions on forums and from the books recommended and have put this into practise with my own dogs and other dogs I walk. I've gone from thinking that Jan Fennel was fab to knowing that Cesar Milan is cruel

I did the Think Cat course in 2003 and have just started the Think Dog course and hope to do more courses in the future.
ali
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You mean you learnt all you know about dogs working in a rescue centre. No one knows all about dogs---not even me (G)!

rune
no, you are wrong.

the rescue centre is where i discovered my powers to communicate with canines psychically.............
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
no, you are wrong.

the rescue centre is where i discovered my powers to communicate with canines psychically.............
ah....so why do they eat poo?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2009, 08:10 PM
because the rabbits do it, and they dont want them to be seen as the higher species
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Much of what I have learned has been through raising puppies for a dog guide school. I think their puppy manual is the best publication I have ever read. The current one is in loose leaf form so they can easily revise it to include the latest findings.

We had less support in 1991 when we started. I also learned a lot observing my daughter's obedience classes. Here we have an excellent program for youths called 4-H. They have a program for almost everything including dogs.

I have also read many books, although not too many of the newer ones. The latest one was The Other end of the Leash, by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D.

Now, I attend monthly training sessions plus an annual day at the school. I have been to the school for other training too including a 2 day seminar by Diane Kowalski. (No promice on the spelling.)

I have moved to more and more positive methods. I still need to see more evidence before giving up my ideas of the importance of strong leadership. I am seeing too many polemics and too few explanations of behavior and solutions to problems. You can argue all day about what goes on in a wolf pack, but I want to see the theories applied to the real world.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >