View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Oh my god, I cannot believe those instructions !!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I never heard of throwing it at the dogs backend, I have seen a behaviourist use one though with a dog that attacked the front door when anyone came, and it was thrown on the floor to make a sharp sound that made the dog look round, the behaviourist never spoke and after using it for 10 mins that dog anticipated the noise with it attacking the door. Gradually the need of the chain wasn't needed, but it was never used to make contact with the dog
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:22 PM
If I threw this to ground my dogs would not even notice, if I threw it at them, they would hate me. Useless item IMO
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I never heard of throwing it at the dogs backend, I have seen a behaviourist use one though with a dog that attacked the front door when anyone came, and it was thrown on the floor to make a sharp sound that made the dog look round, the behaviourist never spoke and after using it for 10 mins that dog anticipated the noise with it attacking the door. Gradually the need of the chain wasn't needed, but it was never used to make contact with the dog
now there it sounds like it would be used similar to the rattle bottle and i could understand that, but the instructions that i posted (the link) said make contact with the dog and thats what made me question there use
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
If I threw this to ground my dogs would not even notice, if I threw it at them, they would hate me. Useless item IMO

see now if i threw it too the ground, my dogs would investigate it and xeva would most likely pick it up and bring it back to me thinking it was a new game

i wouldn't even think about throwing it AT my dogs
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
see now if i threw it too the ground, my dogs would investigate it and xeva would most likely pick it up and bring it back to me thinking it was a new game
Ha, Rupert would probably do the same I've seen trainers throwing choke chains to the ground near the dog as a sound aversive, never seen or heard any advise to hit the dog with it though, in fact all have emphasised the fact you DON'T want to hit the dog, just startle it with the sound.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Hands up how many think they have both the timing to stop the dog in it's tracks (which, despite the hype, doesn't always happen) and throw accurately enough for the chain to land in front of the dog without hitting it.

If you want to use a sound to stop a dog in it's tracks, teach it that a verbal 'stop' means stop.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 06:39 AM
I remember the first time I saw this tactic used I was horrified. The trainer litterally threw a choke chain at the dog when it didn't respond. Hit the dog square on the side and he yelped. probably out of surprise but still.
Those training instructions sound like you are setting your dog up to fail, then punishing him when he does.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I remember the first time I saw this tactic used I was horrified. The trainer litterally threw a choke chain at the dog when it didn't respond. Hit the dog square on the side and he yelped. probably out of surprise but still.
Those training instructions sound like you are setting your dog up to fail, then punishing him when he does.

that's exactly what I thought. Why would you have a piece of kit just for throwing at your dog?

Much better to teach either a verbal cue or train the dog to a whistle with rewards, then he'll WANT to listen to you because you are FUN!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:00 AM
As far as I am concerned its just another stupid way to seperate people from their money. The dog must have to be pretty near for it to take any notice what so ever because you really cant throw a chain very far, and if the dog is that near what is wrong with voice comands
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >