Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Just not cricket is it Sally
I suppose if I came with you to be a recluse, we couldn't be called recluses could we? Anyway I think we would have a lot of other folk joining us

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`m sure this has always gone on but now we know all about it, in excruciating detail. Riots, crime, trouble at sporting matches are all nothing new.
Turn your PC off for a while and sit in your garden. It will all swim into perspective.
Are you trying to tell me to get a life?
I did make a decision today to spend less time on the pc mainly because I don't like a lot of what I'm seeing/reading.

Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
tis a good question.

i have been asking myself the very same question for a few months now, inspired for different reasons, including by what i have witnessed or experienced on dogsey.

i think it comes down to the globalised economy and how it has turned us all into consumers, instead of citizens.
Do you think that on 'tinternet we get a false bravery and say things and act in ways that we normally wouldn't dream of doing?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Do you think that on 'tinternet we get a false bravery and say things and act in ways that we normally wouldn't dream of doing?
Ooooh yes! I've seen comments on here that I am fairly sure would never be said in real life without earning that person a smack in the chops

Not everyone is angry though Nippy so try not to fret. I'm a happy bunny this evening, the new boiler is in and I have enjoyed my first proper shower in ages so I am quite happy (though a fair bit poorer now )
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Ooooh yes! I've seen comments on here that I am fairly sure would never be said in real life without earning that person a smack in the chops

Not everyone is angry though Nippy so try not to fret. I'm a happy bunny this evening, the new boiler is in and I have enjoyed my first proper shower in ages so I am quite happy (though a fair bit poorer now )
Lol Jane, that did make me laugh

There have been a couple of times over the last few days when I have felt cross, embarrassed and disbelieving in what I was reading.
Oh well I will just have to try and stick with the polite and kind people
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Might as well stop paying the mortgage, hand in the keys and live off the Government in the lifestyle a lot of other people seem to enjoy who aren't working.......maybe, I dunno, but that's the way we both feel now
Helena and all, I can't resist mentioning the story that Sky News had on this morning, some guy has been living of the state for decades and claiming huge amounts of benefits and guess what .........he lives in the Seychelles

Allegedly he went there originally when he was unemplyed to do charity work, met and married a local girl, continued claiming, at some point had to come back to England, where he was taken to court and given a nominal jail sentance, on release from jail went back to the Seychelles, continued claiming all sorts of benefits, had to come back to England again, is now going to court again, will likely get another nominal jail sentance and will be back in the Seychelles after.

So what is wrong with this country when someone can constantly defraud the tax payer and still get benefits even after he's done a jail term for fraudently claiming those benefits. Talk about the looneys running the asylum
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I am going to become a recluse!
I have already become one Some days I can honestly say that the only vehicle I've seen is farmer Ivan in his tractor and maybe the post lady when she puts the mail in our box.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`m sure this has always gone on but now we know all about it, in excruciating detail. Riots, crime, trouble at sporting matches are all nothing new.
Turn your PC off for a while and sit in your garden. It will all swim into perspective.
Yes Claire, as you know I take every opportunity to bash the media and it's their persistant desire to tell the world about every little detail and nuance of a story that gets me so mad, and some of the questions are so mind numbingly stupid.

I only watch Sky News in the early morning, the rest of the day I avoid it and I don't have TV in my workshop.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I do not generally find the majority of people to be angry, most of the people I come into contact with are far from it.

I spend last weekend at a spa in Essex where all the staff without exception were lovely, friendly and welcoming.

I tend to focus on the good rather than the bad and tend to find it.

Just lucky I guess.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I definitely think that some people gain courage from the fact that they are sitting in front of a screen and not a room full of real people. Innate aggressive behaviour can come to the fore, as can hurtful comments, without fear of physical retaliation and maybe it acts as a sort of safety valve Obnoxious characters on forums probably behave perfectly nicely in real life.

Taking it a step further - look at all those horrendously violent games that youngsters (and some not so young) play these days; sometimes the borders between games and normal day to day life must become fuzzy, and perhaps when this happens we end up with violent and aggressive individuals who believe themselves to be invincible, and almost forget that bullets actually hurt and kill, and knives ditto.

Fortunately, like the rioters, this group are in the minority and the good people will always outnumber the bad. It's just a shame that the goodies are having such a hard time of it right now.

Losos - I love the idea of going back to isolation (we had it for nearly 27 years) but practicalities have forced us to compromise a little.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-08-2011, 09:09 PM
but practicalities have forced us to compromise a little.
Yes, that matter of 'practicalities' is a subject we've been discussing recently as it happens
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Oo i agree bitkin! Just this morning sat in my car on the M6 stuck in traffic I was people watching and thought the very same thing.

I think people are overworked, and their life balance is all wrong and that makes them, sad, frustrated and angry. Sad really, we're only here for 80 odd years..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:20 PM
I definitely think that some people gain courage from the fact that they are sitting in front of a screen and not a room full of real people. Innate aggressive behaviour can come to the fore, as can hurtful comments, without fear of physical retaliation and maybe it acts as a sort of safety valve Obnoxious characters on forums probably behave perfectly nicely in real life.

Taking it a step further - look at all those horrendously violent games that youngsters (and some not so young) play these days; sometimes the borders between games and normal day to day life must become fuzzy, and perhaps when this happens we end up with violent and aggressive individuals who believe themselves to be invincible, and almost forget that bullets actually hurt and kill, and knives ditto.

Fortunately, like the rioters, this group are in the minority and the good people will always outnumber the bad. It's just a shame that the goodies are having such a hard time of it right now.

Losos - I love the idea of going back to isolation (we had it for nearly 27 years) but practicalities have forced us to compromise a little.
I disagree. I have played all manner of 'violent' computer games since I was young to the present day, as do many of my friends. I assure you that I don't blur the virtual reality world with the real one, nor I am aggressive.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >