Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-05-2004, 11:05 AM
No Bon...what is it. Sounds horrible!
Bon
Almost a Veteran

26-05-2004, 11:19 AM
I don't know what one is either, sad isn't it. It horrifies
me what peope do to animals just out of ingorance. Remember that woman that put her poodle in the micro wave to dry it off after a bath???
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Bon, both things you've mentioned are sick. Puppy whip? I can't believe it, that's horrifying.

Tougher laws just means tougher for the law abiding people. The rogues won't follow the laws anyway, so it's the good people who pay. That's the case with everything though...
Bon
Almost a Veteran

26-05-2004, 01:57 PM
True Barbara
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2004, 10:25 PM
I think tougher penalties on cruelty cases, a national register that rescue's, and reputable breeders can have access to, and most importantly better animal welfare education.

I do agree Barbara, it's the law abiding people that are the one's that have suffer.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Sorry to take this to the top again, but.....

Here in Switzerland we DO have dog licences. Its 100 CHF a year per dog, thats about £44.

And the SKG (our kennel club) does preform yearly checks on breeders. And if we want to breed a dog we HAVE to preform all the health checks AND our dog has to have a breeding assessment. If he/she doesn't pass, they can't be bred.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 11:15 PM
I think the idiots who are cruel wouldn't by a licence anwway so more presure on councils and dog rescues.......doubt it would work
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Kirsty
I agree in principle that it should be harder to get a pet but honestly dont see a foolhardy solution to it

1) Licenses for all pets (catagories for each pet, and a charge for each individual animal (for instance a dog £100, Cat £75, Parrot £50 and so on).
2) No home breeding at all, would cut down on alot of unwanted pets and strays.
3) All registered breeders getting yearly checks.
I dont see how licences work really becasue there isnt enough manpower to stop and ensure every owner has a licence- and what if they dont? Is the animal then removed and put into rescue ?
No home breeding would be excellent news for puppymills and petshops - again i disagree with this
and for the checks- I really donth think theres the resources and manpower to do this- and what would the checks involve ? Houses could be tidied up on the day of inspection, puppies could be removed or hidden for the day....

Maybe if people just got consciences and looked after their pets better and bred for ethical reasons and to better the breed rather than money ???

Edited to say the law should come down on animal cruelty with a HUGE stick and beat the living crap out of these idiots - that might make one or two rethink their actions
kirstyc
Dogsey Junior

26-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Maybe one of our members from america can tell us a litle about the licence they have for their dogs. On animal planet the other day I saw a dog get picked up by the animal welfare, (it had been knocked over in the street) and it had an out of date licence, but the owners still lived at the address but denied the dog was theirs. I have no quarrells paying for a licence (as long as it was reasonably priced) but as you have all stated earlier, only the honest would pay for them anyway. With breeding, my breeder is a "home breeder" and i wouldn't have it any other way. It all comes down to the people involved, i know exactly what you are getting at when you say no home breeding, by people who do not have the welfare of the animals in mind and are probably not bothered about the two dogs they are bredding (hip scores/health problems/eyes etc etc). This happens all over.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Lel

Edited to say the law should come down on animal cruelty with a HUGE stick and beat the living crap out of these idiots - that might make one or two rethink their actions

YES LEL!!!!!! YOU DA MAN!!!

And while the law won't, I'll be happy too!!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >