register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you think life on another planet exists?
Yes - I am certain of it! 8 20.51%
I think there's a high probability that it does 20 51.28%
Let's just say it wouldn't surprise me if it did 6 15.38%
I'm undecided / not sure 2 5.13%
It would surprise me if it did 1 2.56%
I think there's a very low probability that it does 1 2.56%
No - I am certain there is not! 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Sometimes when I look at all the stars and planets in the sky I get this wierd prickly feeling on the back of my neck - when I realise how small we are and what else could possibly be out there....
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 10:02 PM
It's an awful waste of space if there isn't

Yes,I think there is life in some form out there, whether they have been here or would even want to come here, is another matter

My head starts to hurt if I think about if too much as we really are only a tiny speck in the greater scheme of things
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Absolutely. I think it is hard concept to get your head around when you really stop and think about it, but I think life on this planet is a little too 'perfect' for us to be the ONLY planet with life in the universe.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I used to think so, in fact I used to think you'd have to be incredibly ignorant to think that there wasn't, but now I've changed my mind.

I watched a programme not so long ago which went over the history of Planet Earth and what had to happen to allow the planet to be habitable (gravity, atmosphere, water etc) and what had to happen in order for the any species to survive. What it boiled down to was this......

In order for intelligent beings to walk the Earth millions of minute coincidences had to happen at specific times and as such finding another inhabitable planet with intelligent life on it is almost impossible.

So my answer is, possibly, but highly unlikely.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 09:25 AM
In order for intelligent beings to walk the Earth millions of minute coincidences had to happen at specific times and as such finding another inhabitable planet with intelligent life on it is almost impossible.

No one really has any concept of how far the universe expands though.

So, who says that different forms of life could not adapt to different conditions? I don't believe there is another human race, but 'other' creatures/races and what have you...why not? until technology is developed that is able to deify speed and light to travel deeper into the universe, we have no idea of what is out there.

When you think of some of the organisms on our planet that have adapted to range of different and very extreme conditions, I think it is very possible.

Crikey, re-reading what I just wrote I sound like a right geek.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I used to think so, in fact I used to think you'd have to be incredibly ignorant to think that there wasn't, but now I've changed my mind.

I watched a programme not so long ago which went over the history of Planet Earth and what had to happen to allow the planet to be habitable (gravity, atmosphere, water etc) and what had to happen in order for the any species to survive. What it boiled down to was this......

I disagree, when you look at the size of space and it's expanding all the time imo its unthinkable to belive we are the only planet where these coincidences happened.

For life to exist it must fall into the 'habitable zone' often called the 'comfort zone' meaning not to far from the sun it orbits and not to close, so it's only a small area where life is likely to be found but as I say space is that big and getting bigger the chances of any planet not falling into a habitable zone is small imo.

I honestly wouldnt be shocked if in 30-50yrs time they find life to have existed on mars, as it has water there in the past and it is still producing methane showing it is not a dead planet as first thought, this itself could show there may still be life up there(though not imo)

Your post goes on about intelligent life being found, agree with you there if/when life is found to exist I think its more likely to be some microorganism.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Of course!!! haven't you ever heard of the Bumblesnouts!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 11:20 AM
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's ****** all down here on Earth.

monty python
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I think more than likely.

Next question would they want to live here........ not if they have any sense.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I reckon there is a high probability,after all I do live with 2 men from another planet xxxxxx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >