View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I think its 6 and two 3's. If didnt do it this way could just go and get a loan or credit somewhere.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't want to pay up a puppy its a living breathing thing, not a material object like a telly or sofa...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 03:57 PM
No. Absolutely not.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Not really no as it can lead to impulse buying but agree with KCjack that you could just get a loan or credit for the pup elsewhere but best for the breeder to do all they can to deter it I think. JMO.

I have always saved up for mine.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-12-2008, 09:15 PM
As a rule no, but it would depend on circumstances. For instance if I ever bred(never will happen) but had a friend/family member or someone close who I knew wanted one and would make a good owner and I could trust but couldnt afford the full price upfront which can be expensive sometimes It would be something to consider.

I can see the reasoning round the no answer and tend to agree.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:23 PM
No not really.... I paid upfront for my babes, I did ALOT of overtime to pay for my baby Deacon, but I handed over the cash when I collected him....
But I do agree with Stormey, that if it as a friend/relative who could offer a fantastic home, but didn't quite have the cash, then that is acceptable...
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 11:54 PM
No absolutely not.

Mo
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I paid for one of my dogs on my overdraft.. so not any different to a breeder offering payment terms.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 01:28 PM
But if a breeder offered payment terms and the person missed their payments or stopped altogether what happens then ? Does the breeder take the pup back or just say ok it doesn't mattter if you haven't paid me the full price ? This is a living dog and I don't think payment terms would be a good idea , too many ifs and buts
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Easy Payment terms for puppies - acceptable or not?

Absolutely not and this is why.

The decision to have a dog should only be taken after careful consideration it is not something that be taken lightly.

Most good breeders breed infrequently and will have a waiting list for puppies giving people a chance to save up for a dog.

If a purchaser needs to look at 'easy payments' as an option when buying a dog, they should really consider if the can afford a dog at all. Dog ownership can be very expensive, vets bills may be considerable even with insurance there is usually an excess for each and every illness often around £50. Then there are the monthly insurance premiums, yearly vaccinations, worming and food costs to consider. It may be necessary to spay a bitch, this cost is not covered by insurance nether are whelping cost if a bitch accidentally gets mated.

If someone would like a dog of a particular breed but finds the initial cost prohibitive they may be able to get a dog thought the breed rescue. If they don't mind not having a particular breed there are plenty of rescues charging only a small amount for a dog.

I would steer well clear of any breeder who advertises 'easy payments' particularly if they advertise puppies for sale in the free advertisements, this is often the type of method puppy farmers use to sell puppies . I think it also encourages impulse buying by those who may not have been considered buying a dog, it makes obtaining a dog all too easy when we should by getting people to stop and think if dog ownership and the commitments that goes with it is really for them .

Good breeders usually have a ready market for their puppies through the breed clubs or by word of mouth, if they don't have a ready market they should not be breeding at all.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >