View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 01:23 PM
As has already been suggested, the best course of action would be to call and chat to someone. I would say that it very much depends on the temperaments of your current bitches, as well as the one you are interested in, as to whether they will get on or not. If it were me though, if I already had two bitches I would definitely be looking at a dog rather than another bitch.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Julie1962 View Post
I was told when we wanted a second girlie that two girls when they fight are more likely to fight to the death than two boys. We went ahead and got a girl and I can honestly say they loved each other so much never a wrong word between them [IMG][/IMG] But when we had two boys we had no end of scraps and a couple of serious fights that led us to have to rehome one of them.

I really think it's individual dogs that matter not the sex.
Great photo - they obviously really love each other. So sweet.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I've sent them a message to see if she is still available and will have a chat with them if she is, they are the other end of the country so will really have to make sure she may be suitable for us before going down to visit.
I only have one bitch at the moment (14 yr old Border Collie) and I have an 8 month old Dalmatian dog, I did have another dog but unfortunately he passed away.
The bitch in question is apparently a Polish Lowland x Sheepdog.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I didnt realise rescues could have such a policy, never thought 2 bitches together as much of an issue really but then again i've never had 2 bitches living together (thats because I prefer dogs, less trouble!)

Would it make much difference if the bitches were spayed? Would this make them more easy going?
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2010, 04:33 PM
We have a male Lab and he would be happy to accept any dog into the fold. However my female Patterdale wouldn't accept another female no matter how the other dog behaved. That was proven when we had a female dalmation stay and they had a couple of spats inside. Outside they were fine with each other, and would walk next to each other happily.

Both females were spayed aswell.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I've never seen any difference between how my bitch reacts to dogs vs. bitches. We watch my parent's dog (also a bitch) and there have been no problems at all.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I know lots of people who have two or even three bitches together, variouse breeds.

I have had a few clients with fighting bitches but not many. Have been ok to sort out but they never seem to end up buddies like dogs.

Adam
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 02:44 PM
You can home two bitches together provided one is happy to be subservient to the other. I have lots of friends with two bitches, but the only time I've done it was with a mother & daughter. That worked fine but my friend had to rehome the daughter after she had caused her mother to have vet treatment for serious injuries more than once. I've always been cautious of having two bitches together since many years ago the owner of my bitches sire had two bitches who were sisters fight silently in the night after 5 years of living happily together & one killed the other. I've been told bitches often fight silently especially if they really mean it but dogs make a lot of noise about a fight.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 03:19 PM
My lurcher Jenny was horrible to my collie Bessie when we first got her. She was fine with my collie x Otis. My male lurcher Danny who we got at the same time as Jenny was fine with my other two dogs.
That said..jenny was funny with Guinness when we first got him. Now, 3 weeks later she loves him and curls up with him to sleep!!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I have three bitches here and they all get on ok, i have two dogs of my own and one foster who has been here for 2 months. My grey is 5 and lurcher is 3, the foster is 6 months. The pup and lurcher play all the time, my grey won't entertain the pup at all but is not aggressive towards her, they just don't interact with each other.

When i was looking for a second dog, lots of people said don't get another bitch but our two have been fine. I was swaying towards a dog originally when looking thinking that as racing greys are kennelled male and female together that a male may be better, i saw Bella my lurcher at the dogs trust before knowing her sex and i was hooked and would have had her if she was male or female anyway.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >