View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Personally I'd start a pup off in my bedroom rather than leaving it alone downstairs or whatever. Once I'd done some work on teaching them it was okay to be alone I'd gradually move them out of the bedroom if I didn't want them sleeping there.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:02 PM
In my bedroom in a crate at night. Then if you need to move it out you can do it gradually.

rune
cath25
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Alone in room.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Both of mine curl up on the bottom of the bed !!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I met a man at a dog show who had 2 litter sisters and he had the scars on his arm to show for it! They were only small dogs too (Shih Ztus).

People often ask me if Parker and Izzy are both bitches (Parker has a bobble in to keep the hair from his eyes) and I reply "no, that would be a very bad idea to have 2 females"!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
Both of mine curl up on the bottom of the bed !!
Rupert starts off at the bottom of the bed but I wake up clinging desperately to the very edge of the bed with no duvet while he has his head on my pillow, all the duvet and 99% of the bed
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Started mine straight off in the crate alone at night and covered crate, but my pup came from kennels so wasnt in a full home environment prior to coming.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I know of someone who hasbought two weimeraner/gsp x bitch puppies from the same litter. He also has an elderly bitch - a gsp/springer x who won't have anything to do with them. The pups are now about 15 weeks old and one is quite shy and he is worried about it. When I last saw him he told me he is finding things quite difficult and very time consuming. He is taking them out separately a lot and trying to give them individual attention. It is not quite what he expected. The pups are lovely, but are hard work. I hope things will be OK as they grow, but I am not sure about it at all.

Bitches do not always get on well together and if two bitches do start to fight it is usually quite serious and often one has to be found another home.
Personally I wouldn't have two bitch puppies together, although I know it can work with two bitches (but usually with a difference in ages, not the same age).
The best combination I think is male and female, (one or both neutered) with an age difference of 1-2 years. Two males are very often fine together, but again with a bit of an age difference.

Edited to add:My pup (6months) now sleeps on her own, downstairs, and she is perfectly fine. In the beginning you could have a crate in your bedroom (helps no end with house training) and then you can gradually move her out as she gets older.
the3musketeers
New Member!
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:34 PM
we had two brothers from the same litter and have never had a problem with them, yes they enjoy each others company but we did bring another dog into the group when they were 12 months old and they excepted him straight away but it may be different with bitches. It was hard having two the same age, mainly house training them as they wanted to go out at different times but once we introduced them to crates they were fine. They also slept downstairs on their own from 9 weeks we just made sure we could hear them if they wanted to go out.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't leave a pup alone in a room, especially soon after bringing them home. Jake was crated in my room for the first few months, and he whined like crazy (only for the first few nights). I think he found it much more comforting though, to have me there so I could talk to him and he knew I was there... rather than being alone all night. Leaving their mum and litter can be difficult for pups, they are going into a completely new environment with new(/ish) people, so I personally don't think it is a good idea to leave them alone, at least until they have a while to settle.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >