View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 07:36 PM
ive been thinking about this too. james admitted to me today that if we ever get a dog together (its been another thread) that he would have a labrador again. bearing in mind we have always had dogs as a family, and now own our own, is it still too much to take two puppies on? although i hear most breeders wont let two go together.

i personally cant see anything wrong with having two from the same, if the people have had dogs before and are dedicated to training them, but i wouldnt give them 2 puppies from the same litter if they had never owned a dog before.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I kept two pups from a litter I bred, early days wasa nightmare, because they were so into each other, we had to take them to training classes, my daughter trained one I trained the other, otherwise we would have had a job on our hands,its hard work. thankfully they are now 5 years of age, and good dogs, they were a male and female, I would no way on earth have kept two females or two males from the same litter. I personally would not allow two of my pups go to one home.

Mo
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
ive been thinking about this too. james admitted to me today that if we ever get a dog together (its been another thread) that he would have a labrador again. bearing in mind we have always had dogs as a family, and now own our own, is it still too much to take two puppies on? although i hear most breeders wont let two go together.

i personally cant see anything wrong with having two from the same, if the people have had dogs before and are dedicated to training them, but i wouldnt give them 2 puppies from the same litter if they had never owned a dog before.
Are we talking Labs here? if so, no, no, no and NO again to getting littermates. Labradors are difficult puppies as it is. They are very mouthy, often destructive, high energy, 'busy' pups. They are also very dog oriented; love other dogs and love to play/bite/wrestle each other. Get two and they would likely bond very closely, play constantly and ignore their owners in favour of each other. Not a good idea.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Are we talking Labs here? if so, no, no, no and NO again to getting littermates. Labradors are difficult puppies as it is. They are very mouthy, often destructive, high energy, 'busy' pups. They are also very dog oriented; love other dogs and love to play/bite/wrestle each other. Get two and they would likely bond very closely, play constantly and ignore their owners in favour of each other. Not a good idea.
even if you still worked separately with them? it was mainly because we wouldnt want them to be left on their own if we went out, and they couldnt be left with the cresteds. although i will listen to what people say on here. i know that two is definately double the trouble
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
I kept two pups from a litter I bred, early days wasa nightmare, because they were so into each other, we had to take them to training classes, my daughter trained one I trained the other, otherwise we would have had a job on our hands,its hard work. thankfully they are now 5 years of age, and good dogs, they were a male and female, I would no way on earth have kept two females or two males from the same litter. I personally would not allow two of my pups go to one home.

Mo
the breeder who I bought my gsd from many many years ago, did the same thing recently, she kept two from her last litter, she had similar problems to you, she also brought them to training, which did help to an extent,
I do wonder if breed plays a part, holly and vinnie were never that fussed with each other, they were more people dogs, when I think back for the first 7 months I had three as I had beau come back, but I still never had issues,
Im sure if I had tried this with gds's though I would have had my work well and truely cut out.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2