Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Belle472 View Post
Thank you, I realise it is a cross breed, I am not precious about having a pedigree dog, and from the research I have done it seems that pug/beagle crosses tend to have a good temperament and are a small to medium size which is what I am looking for.

I saw the post above when searching online and it sounds horrendous, but have also seen posts from people who have been happy with the service and health of their puppy. I'm not sure what I should believe so thought if anyone on here has had experience of dealing with puppies r us I could get a firsthand review.

Thanks again for responding.
The only good reviews come from their own website
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Belle472 View Post
Thank you Trouble, this is really informative. I thought that maybe the health problems inherent with pugs may be less likely to surface in a cross but I agree it'd be easier to monitor health in a full pug. Thank you
I don't think you're alone in thinking that tbh, puppy farmers would like us all to believe that any inherited problems simply disappear when crossed with another breed when in reality they are just introducing the possibility of a whole host of other inherited problems. Any known disease that can be tested for in a particular breed should be tested for in order to prevent it being passed on to their offspring.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

07-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Who's that aimed at?
Probably at me.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Probably at me.
And me! - But then my post wasn't aimed at her personally, just the fact that people will pay so much for a crossbreed, which I gleaned from the website. That alone would put me off!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

07-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
And me! - But then my post wasn't aimed at her personally, just the fact that people will pay so much for a crossbreed, which I gleaned from the website. That alone would put me off!

What a missed opportunity then. Way back when I was breeding Griffons it was a well-known "secret" that a few breeders were occasionally using Pugs as studs to "improve" [???] the puppies they were producing. As they owned a Griffon sire they would then register the puppies as pure bred Griffons.

They should have called them "Grugs" or even "Puffs" and made a fortune from their "new breed".
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm sorry but that review from that other site seems like crap IMO. Loaded with poor grammar and absolute randomness. Just because a puppy was deprived of "human socialization" while young doesn't mean it will turn out to be a monster.

Many street dogs and litters born from these get no real human socialization and turn out to be great pets. Besides, they have NO proof of that, it's merely what they are saying.

They bought the puppy from a "massive" place that had "all sorts of pups" and then later complained that because it was raised on the SAME puppy farm they got it from and went to etc., that being on said farm causes her problems. Weird.

This comes after bringing home a "placid" puppy that was assumed to be sedated when it would not have made sense to pay that much for a sluggish puppy that would have seemed sick.

With the "even tho it felt wrong" and all that stuff, this review looks more like slander or something (by someone who hates puppy farms and is looking to turn people away) than anything legitimate. There also is probably no proof of anything, simply a written review.

"From day 1 she was a nightmare.. But I wanted to persevere.. She wouldn't eat, vomited 2 inch live worms.. Bit me.. Was aggressive.."

All this from day one? Especially since she was apparently "so placid" on that same day one.... until she awoke the next morning. Hmm... that's odd. Pfft.

I mistrust this review BIG time, even though the place is possibly/probably a puppy farm with a bunch of untested dogs being sold to the general public.

Use caution when looking at written reviews by random people. All the advice I can offer.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Had a look at the website , looks like a puppy farm to me . I wouldn't be buying from that sort of place . If you want a puppy get a pug or a beagle from a reputable person with health tested dogs . It will most likely be less expensive too .
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Rather then scare you away with sneers at how much you're willing to pay for a dog, I will say I wouldn't touch that "breeder" with a barge pole! Just the name alone sounds like a puppy farm.

Regarding buying a crossbreed vs a purebred. Personally I wouldn't touch a Pug. Riddled with health issues, and while yes, you can go to reputable breeders and minimize your chances of having an unhealthy dog, it's not uncommon for Pug breeders to think their dogs "fainting" episodes when overly excited is "perfectly normal". So that wouldn't fill me with great reassurance as to their view on health matters.

If you're truly set on a Pug/Beagle cross, and I don't think there is anything wrong in being so, then you need to find a puppy that has come from health tested parents. It's the supporting of BAD breeders that gets most people's hackles up. But if you can find a decent breeder there is no problem. There lays the problem usually, because finding crossbreed breeders who health test and do everything "right" is second to none. Tons of Doodle breeders who tend to do so these days, but the other "designer" dogs don't have the dedication and are mostly random bred. If you're not against rescuing that would be my first port of call. You may be lucky in finding a Puggle there. If not, you may find another small/medium little mix catches your eye or matches well to your lifestyle/wants. Or of course you could contact a breed specific rescue for perhaps the Beagle if you're set on one of the mixes in the Puggle. A ton healthier then the Pug.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-02-2014, 07:19 PM
It's perfectly possible to find healthy Pugs from ethical breeders, I have 3 all from different breeders, so they're not impossible to find. Yes it's hard work finding a good breeder but that applies to most breeds tbh. My Pugs do come from health tested parents and they don't faint, or have any difficulty breathing, is it any wonder people think a cross is healthier when people slag Pugs off left right and centre. Of course there are badly bred Pugs out there just as there are badly bred Dobermanns and badly bred Staffies and just about any other breed you care to mention.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It's perfectly possible to find healthy Pugs from ethical breeders, I have 3 all from different breeders, so they're not impossible to find. Yes it's hard work finding a good breeder but that applies to most breeds tbh. My Pugs do come from health tested parents and they don't faint, or have any difficulty breathing, is it any wonder people think a cross is healthier when people slag Pugs off left right and centre. Of course there are badly bred Pugs out there just as there are badly bred Dobermanns and badly bred Staffies and just about any other breed you care to mention.
First of all I didn't "slag" Pugs off. Just said I wouldn't touch one. As I said, yes, you can minimize your chances of having an unhealthy dog by going to a responsible breeder, but as a whole Pugs are notoriously known to be unhealthy. It might offend owners of the breed, but I don't think we should mislead people either.

I'm glad you have healthy Pugs. I know of one owned by another person on another site which even competes in Agility. Not saying you can't get healthier examples, as with any breed, but they'd not be the first breed I'd recommend for people looking for a largely healthy breed.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >