View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Registered for me. It costs very little to register a litter which would probably be recouped by the enhanced price anyway so there really is no reason why a breeder would not do this other than they cannot meet the kennel clubs requirements. So much of that is about welfare ie not breeding from a bitch that is too young, too old or has had too many litters. Or the parents are not registered which means nobody is vouching for the accuracy of their pedigree. Or the parents have an endorsement against breeding placed by there breeder which may be because she did not consider them of sufficient quality or wished them to pass health tests first. I know unregistered stock can be health test but I don't think that happens very often so that is another reason to choose a registered litter. If you buy a pedigree that is not registered you could be encouraging some very poor practices.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Registered for me. It costs very little to register a litter which would probably be recouped by the enhanced price anyway so there really is no reason why a breeder would not do this other than they cannot meet the kennel clubs requirements. So much of that is about welfare ie not breeding from a bitch that is too young, too old or has had too many litters. Or the parents are not registered which means nobody is vouching for the accuracy of their pedigree. Or the parents have an endorsement against breeding placed by there breeder which may be because she did not consider them of sufficient quality or wished them to pass health tests first. I know unregistered stock can be health test but I don't think that happens very often so that is another reason to choose a registered litter. If you buy a pedigree that is not registered you could be encouraging some very poor practices.
I agree with this completely
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Its not important to me I have a parson who is KC reg but not show standard and a Border collie who is from working parents not KC reg, I think it is only important if you wish to show or breed, what ever happens re health Problems etc I would stick with them.

There are many puppies born pedigree and non-pedigree, is one more deserving of a lifetime loving home than the other? all the puppies in the world have to go somewhere.

does that make sense cos i've worked all night?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by maebme View Post
Hayley - forgive my ignorance - but what does 'hang papers' mean?
It means basically Fraud,using another dogs papers on an unregistered dog etc.........
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
Its not important to me I have a parson who is KC reg but not show standard and a Border collie who is from working parents not KC reg, I think it is only important if you wish to show or breed, what ever happens re health Problems etc I would stick with them.

There are many puppies born pedigree and non-pedigree, is one more deserving of a lifetime loving home than the other? all the puppies in the world have to go somewhere.

does that make sense cos i've worked all night?
Yes this maks complete sense

I do think its to esy to KC reg your pups,
just because there registered doesnt make them good quality

But in my opinion you should only breed from dogs that are close to the breed standard,
Breed standards were put in place by respectable breeders and breed organisations,
If your not breeding to keep the standard up then you are not breeding for the welfare of the breed,simple
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
Yes this maks complete sense

I do think its to esy to KC reg your pups,
just because there registered doesnt make them good quality

But in my opinion you should only breed from dogs that are close to the breed standard,
Breed standards were put in place by respectable breeders and breed organisations,
If your not breeding to keep the standard up then you are not breeding for the welfare of the breed,simple
Exactly!
You should be aiming to breed the perfect example of your chosen breed.
KC Reg does not guareentee quality nor does guareentee reputable breeders,that is up to the puppy buyer to do there research,
If i were looking to buy in another pup it would be KC reg but i would go through a breed club.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I think it is only important if you wish to show or breed, what ever happens re health Problems etc I would stick with them.
When your dog is just a well loved pet (which of course most show dogs are too) it seems even more important that you aim for the best chance of no health problems in their lives. I also think you don't have to show or breed to be concerned about the welfare issues that non registration may indicate.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:54 AM
My xena was not KC,she looked just like a rotti,she was a rotti,
I trusted the 'breeder' for his reasons why she wasnt registered
How wrong was I,my baby girl was doomed from the start,
you see,it turned out she was a result of father and daughter,
which at the time I was completely unaware of
She had problem after problem,in the end we went to have her spayed,
she didnt make it
turned out she had cancer,it was a type that you see alot of in young female dogs that have been interbred,this is what the vet told me so Im not just making it up.

To this day im convinced my girl died because of my niave attitude,if people bought pups from respectable breeders in the first place then there would be less of these breeders and less people would be taken advantage of.

So thats why I have the views I have,and Im a lesson to be learned
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
If you buy a pedigree that is not registered you could be encouraging some very poor practices.
That may be so but what happens to the puppies? are they disposed of using other poor practices? They have to go somewhere.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 11:05 AM
That may be so but what happens to the puppies? are they disposed of using other poor practices? They have to go somewhere.
I can see where your comming from but if people buy these pups it just encourages the 'breeder' to breed again and again
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »