View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 12:26 PM
The trouble with selling a dog that may be carrying a health fault, you tell the buyer about the fault and say the dog should not be bred, you put a restriction on the registration but there is no way that you can know that the person buying that pup will not breed. So what can one do? Cull or keep the pup till it is old enough to be neutered and then give it away? Even then you could find yourself having to take the dog back or yourself being sued because the dog is proving more difficult to raise than the owners thought. What is the answer, well the only safe way is not to sell or buy a white boxer, that means that the breeder will have to be much more careful or they will have to cull. I do not know how often a white pup appears unexpected but if it happens often then there would seem no other way forward for the breed except to cull.

Let us hope that before long DNA can and will be used to see if a prospective breeding animal is carrying the gene that gives white coat and deafness in boxers because it is not going to be just the whites carrying this gene and there will be any number of others carrying it too. Big problem for the breed, but with luck scientific help is at hand then all that will be needed with be the will of the breeders to do the best they can for the breed they love and not breed from animals who carry the white gene.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

17-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Roxy
I dont know Iv never heard of Dog Rescue online.
Heres the link, its not a bad site actually, youre allowed to have an opinion unlike a certain other rescue site

http://dogrescueonline.ipbhost.com/index.php
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2005, 01:18 PM
20 - 25% of Boxers are white.

Colors in Boxers

Fawn - All Boxers have a fawn base coat. The brindling pattern, and white color markings are modifiers of this base coat. Dogs appearing fawn do not have the genes for the brindle modifier. Two fawns bred together will always produce 100% fawn puppies (leaving the white markings out of the equation for now).

Brindle - Brindles have a fawn base coat, but also a modifying gene that produces brindle striping. The stripes may be sparse, and far apart, or so large and numerous that the dog appears black, especially when very young, or from a distance. The dog may have one or two genes for the brindle modifier.

If the dog has two genes for brindling (the dog is said to be "homozygous"), then they will always produce only brindle puppies, even if bred to a fawn (again leaving the white markings out of the equation). A dog with one brindling gene, and one non-brindling gene ("heterozygous"), that is bred to a fawn, on average, will produce 50% fawn and 50% brindle. Two brindles who are heterozygous for the brindling gene are bred together, then on average they will produce 25% fawn, and 75% brindle. Furthermore, 1/3 of the brindles (25% of all puppies) will be homozygous brindle, capable of producing only brindle puppies. A heterozygous brindle bred to a homozygous brindle will produce all brindle puppies, half will be homozygous, half heterozygous. And of course, the fawn-homozygous brindle mating would produce 100% brindle heterozygous puppies - brindles capable of producing fawns.

White marking - White markings are controlled by a gene that is totally separate from the base color. White Boxers often have fawn or brindle spots, indicating whether they would have had a fawn or brindle base color, had not their white markings been so extreme.

There are some disagreements about the actual genes involved in white markings in Boxers, but basically, "plain" or almost solid color Boxers, are believed to have either no genes for white markings, or as having genes for the "low end" of the white marking scale. White Boxers are seen as having two genes for the extreme of the usual white marking pattern. Flashy Boxers are seen as having one gene for no white markings (or low end markings), and one gene for extreme white markings.

Two white Boxers will always produce 100% white puppies. Exacted percentages when two flashy Boxers are bred together are 25% plain, 50% flashy, and 25% white. When two plain Boxers from show lines are bred together, they are expected to produce 100% colored (non-white) puppies, though markings may vary.

Submitted by:
Copyright Theresa Garton & Boxer Mailing List (BML) July, 1997
(with kind permission)

So as you can see unless the Breed Council and the KC are prepared to stop the breeding of the flashy Boxers who do win shows then whites wont be stopped.
Carole
Supervisor

17-01-2005, 01:23 PM
I prefer the look of flashy boxers ops:
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

17-01-2005, 01:27 PM
I do too Carole but if white Boxers are to be eliminated from the breeding programme then flashy Boxers would also be banned from breeding as well as whites.
Carole
Supervisor

17-01-2005, 01:41 PM
I know

If you breed a genetically plain boxer to a flashy one you dont get whites. This seems a good way to go.

That way you get plain and flashy ones but no whites.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Not unless 'flashy' do not carry the 'white' gene, I don't know but it is possible to have white markings and not have a gene that gives a white coat.

What looks good or wins in the show ring should not be given considered if it is proven that such dogs carry a gene that can or does cause them health problems. Surely enthusiasts and breeder will wish to go for the healthy dog about and beyond the colour or markings.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 01:49 PM
LOrriane at scottish boxer was not refering to breeding whites, if a white one is born within a litter of coloured boxers why cull it. I have a beautiful white boxer her sidlings were all red, apart from her colour she is perfect according to the breed standard.SHE is very healthy,has a wonderful temperment,all in all she really is a fantastic dog, if someone has a problem with her colour thats their problem. Theses white dogs do not ask to be born, they deserve the same treatment as any other colour.I for one would definetly buy another white.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 01:51 PM
whats a flashy boxer?
Carole
Supervisor

17-01-2005, 01:53 PM
I know Molidoodle this has gone off topic again ops:

Most breeders dont cull anymore which I think is good. I would get a white boxer over a coloured next time if one was available.

Jenny a flashy boxer is one with lots of white. Star is considered a plain cause she has hardly any white.
Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »