View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah111
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the replies I am going to look into seeing someone, we have tried a ball and toys and high value foods but he's just not interested, I try playing with him at home and garden but he just isn't interested I throw a ball and he sees it but just stands there uninterested unlike my other lab who loves to retrieve.

The only thing that gets Jenson excited is playing tug with a rope but we have even tried this on walks but once he sees a dog he is 100% focused on the dog. Even when you get his lead out he just stands still and puts his head down while my other lab is over excited.

Thanks Sarah
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
some dogs will need to be managed for life ,some may never like other dogs, some dont like f//m some, males.some, strange dogs.all you can do is curb there behaviour, keep all safe, use a leash at all times.there everyhere where i live..and there is also hope that you do not have a dog like this. got some of the best here at dogsey to help, good luck
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 02:04 PM
tugging may send messages to your dog you may not want.respectfully...i never tug
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
My dog is similar and I am seeing Cath Phillips at Rochdale at the moment. She seems good and only uses positive methods as far as I know but I have only had one session so far. She enourages lots of treats and uses soft toy dogs at first. I found it quite funny at first but i think it will help.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
tugging may send messages to your dog you may not want.respectfully...i never tug
tugging can be a great idea - stress/frustration outlet, training tool, etc.

what message are you worried about?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
in some dogs iv worked that tugged,it creates compition between you and the dog, something you may not want.i find the dog to push on me and to want to exert dom.with an aggresssive dog why, bother to promote, to elivate .some dogs are fine,tugging is the root of lots of behaviours iv fixed, there are lots of other ways to tier your dog,than to compete with them....for me
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
in some dogs iv worked that tugged,it creates compition between you and the dog, something you may not want.i find the dog to push on me and to want to exert dom.with an aggresssive dog why, bother to promote, to elivate .some dogs are fine,tugging is the root of lots of behaviours iv fixed, there are lots of other ways to tier your dog,than to compete with them....for me
i wondered i you were anti tugging due to dominance ideas.

i dont believe in the dominance theory and think it very healthy to encourage a tugging contest under set conditions.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
yes.. and i see dom in my yard everyday, you have a different name.?.respectfully.i let my dogs be dogs and intervine when i have to.iv got an alfa and subordanats as well.they practice dog behaviour with out me, dominance is one of them,and no there not wolves!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
yes.. and i see dom in my yard everyday, you have a different name.?.respectfully.i let my dogs be dogs and intervine when i have to.iv got an alfa and subordanats as well.they practice dog behaviour with out me, dominance is one of them,and no there not wolves!
its called dominance in england as well

still dont believe in it as regards dogs and humans

i let my dogs be dogs and intervene when needs be as well,
im still not sure how you connected all that with the lady on this thread playing tug games with her dog?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
My dog is similar and I am seeing Cath Phillips at Rochdale at the moment. She seems good and only uses positive methods as far as I know but I have only had one session so far. She enourages lots of treats and uses soft toy dogs at first. I found it quite funny at first but i think it will help.
Cath is great.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >