register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

03-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Easiest way to remove them is to psint nsil varnish remover on them.

Kills them within 30 seconds. Then gently remove them

Stan
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 09:14 PM
my son had a tick in the back of his head last summer well we thought it was a tick,we tried to get it out but had no luck so we had to take him to hospital when he was examined he was rushed straight through not only had it burrowed right into the back of his head it had lodge itself so tight in side that they had to remove it by local annasetic it took half an hour to remove once removed it was sent to the labs cos they didnt know what it was tests come back later and it was called a JIGGER its from the tick family but this one carries a disease it's from south america and must of come over with some birds dropped of and landed and decided to take host on my son he was put onto antibiotics but had to be watched for 3mths incase of any change to the where the jigger had been but i can gladly say no side affects and my son is fine now
LF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Ticks are rife this year all already We're having to do tick patrol after every walk now due to the numbers about. Ripsnorter, the best way to get them out easily is to get one of the tick remover thingies Bellaluna mentioned - your vet should stock them and you get two in a packet; a small one for wee ticks and a big one for blooming great gorged ticks! You don't need to kill the tick first, just hook the remover onto the tick and turn in an anti clockwise direction. It will even get one out when it has just stuck in and hasn't grown in size at all. Then wash the tick down the kitchen plughole with scalding hot water

Lesley
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Pmsl Lesley, a girl after my own heart!! When Satch had a tick last year I smothered it in vaseline and watched it die a horrible, agonising, suffocating death (mwaa haa haa )

Becs
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
We get paralysis ticks here, which are deadly if you don't find them quickly. I mentioned to my vet that when I find a tick (only a couple so far thank goodness) I dab it with neat gin and then pull it off. His advise was to drink the gin instead, and just flick the tick out with the edge of a credit card or between the blades of blunt scissors and flush it down the lavatory.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2005, 12:15 PM
The old way used to be touch the tic on its bum with a lighted cigerette and it will gasp and let go.. now no one smokes those little tools from the vet work well.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone, will keep all the suggestions in mind for next time! It's only the second time I've ever found one so they still make me puke. Don't think I'll use vaseline next time, I've got rid of the tick but now I can't get the vaseline out of his hair! Poor dog looks like a right grease monkey!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2