View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Devoted_owner
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Oooh, I think we'll have to try that with Danny. He's awful for jumping up. Problem is, if we're going for a walk and he jumps up at people (he has a liking for old women), I can't really say 'oh don't worry, just lift your knee up'-might get a few odd looks. So I suppose we should just stick to doing it at home...? What a good idea though.
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
oh and the man thing is so true- my OH tries his best but doesnt have the right tone with them so they both ignore him!
It's not a man thing, it's the other way round in our house!

Originally Posted by Devoted_owner View Post
What a good idea though.
Personally I don't think it's a great idea, even if it's unintentional there's still a risk of injuring the dog. Much better to try non-physical techniques first imo.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Ignorance is bliss. We ignored Woody and now he NEVER jumps up at us.

He does however still jump up at other people and that's because every bloody time he does it they go "or don't worry, he's only little/puppy/being friendly etc". So now he thinks it's OK. It drives me mad!!

Have resorted to being quite harsh with people when he does it.

ETA: agree with everything AJ says and do not like the idea of bringing the knee up at all. No way!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't do that personally.

Loki was a manic jumper but every time he did, I just turned my back, continued to if he bounced and ignored him (not even a "down" command) until he was calm. Then once all feet were on the floor I rewarded him with praise/treat/hug. Once this was achieved, I would then ask him to "sit" before giving rewards. Now I can come in and he will sit, quivering with excitement until I give him some attention.

Unfortunately other people don't seem to understand this and instantly give him lots of attention, which causes him to leap around in excitement. I'm still trying to train them. Even Carys just turns her back when we come in and his big wet tongue comes her way - clever girl!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

Now it just so happens that this morning, the man who came to service my boiler, used to be a police dog handler/trainer, and because Zena barked at him and jumped up, he started telling me about how to cure it. Of course he said, things have changed over the years, but when he was a trainer, with a persistent jumper, he would bring his knee up, the dog would feel the knee on his/her chest and refrain from ever doing it again. He isn't for physical punishment in any way or form, he said this doesn't hurt the dog, but it instils in them that jumping up is not a good idea! !
I hope you don't mind me being honest but - you can damage a dog's internal organs by using the knee in that way. What he said is not correct, and it IS punishment. If he said it's not, he either doesn't understand what punishment actually is, or he's telling you what you want to hear and sweetening it for you.

I don't know if you recall the police dog Acer who died during training, but he was kicked in the ribs by his handler and died from a ruptured liver. The reason it stops the dog jumping up is because it hurts. I have done this myself in the past, but this was way back in the 1980s.

I know of a retired police dog instructor (not just handler) who would be horrified at this man's suggestion.

Jumping up is done by dogs because they are trying to say hallo in the only way they know, until we can teach them differently so IMO it's very harsh to physically punish them.

Sorry not trying to rain on your parade and all that, but I try to be honest in my posts

My current Belgian shepherd was really bad at jumping up and I basically trained her to do another thing for a very big reward - in her case it was Sit and get a big piece of roast chicken. Then I'd scatter food for her to seek and she'd then have forgotten about wanting to jump up, by the time she'd found it all, and if she was still excited she'd have her lead put on and given a stuffed kong to work on.

I do realise it can be hard to work on and frustrating - it often gets worse before it gets better - this is the "extinction burst" owners aren't always told about. It's like when the tv breaks down - we do everything we can to make it "work" before accepting it won't and just relaxing about it. Dogs also do everything they can to get what they peceive as rewarding, and then do give up if they don't get anything out of it, and are shown something better instead.

Wys
x
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Well ive tried the ignoring/ turning back or givinbg a command but it doesnt work. Every dog is different and for my boy- me talking to him or even just turning our backs is rewarding for him so he gets the knee (just makes it uncomfortable to remain where he is-its in no way 'kneeING him' it doesnt hurt him and i do not see how it could unless I put force into it- which I dont.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I hope you don't mind me being honest but - you can damage a dog's internal organs by using the knee in that way. What he said is not correct, and it IS punishment. If he said it's not, he either doesn't understand what punishment actually is, or he's telling you what you want to hear and sweetening it for you.

I don't know if you recall the police dog Acer who died during training, but he was kicked in the ribs by his handler and died from a ruptured liver. The reason it stops the dog jumping up is because it hurts. I have done this myself in the past, but this was way back in the 1980s.

I know of a retired police dog instructor (not just handler) who would be horrified at this man's suggestion.

Jumping up is done by dogs because they are trying to say hallo in the only way they know, until we can teach them differently so IMO it's very harsh to physically punish them.

Sorry not trying to rain on your parade and all that, but I try to be honest in my posts

My current dog was really bad at jumping up and I basically trained her to do another thing for a very big reward - in her case it was Sit and get a big piece of roast chicken. Then I'd scatter food for her to seek and she'd then have forgotten about wanting to jump up, by the time she'd found it all, and if she was still excited she'd have her lead put on and given a stuffed kong to work on.

Wys
x
sorry- but where did H say that he put force behind it? Next we will be living in a society where we do not dare touch our dogs.
Bringing your knee up in such a manner does not hurt them unless you do so with force- it merely makes it uncomfortable for the dog to continue jumping up-so they do not get rewarded for doing so!
A dog cannot get internal injuried from just lifting your knee up!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

My current dog was really bad at jumping up and I basically trained her to do another thing for a very big reward - in her case it was Sit and get a big piece of roast chicken. Then I'd scatter food for her to seek and she'd then have forgotten about wanting to jump up, by the time she'd found it all, and if she was still excited she'd have her lead put on and given a stuffed kong to work on.

Wys
x
Think we all did what we thought was good practise back then, the days when your mum n dad said rub his nose in it that'll soon stop him, smack its nose, give it a good kick...We were brought up like that with dogs in the house, our own life experiences teach us differently...thankfully and hopefully it is a thing of the past
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:04 PM
sorry- but where did H say that he put force behind it? Next we will be living in a society where we do not dare touch our dogs.
Bringing your knee up in such a manner does not hurt them unless you do so with force- it merely makes it uncomfortable for the dog to continue jumping up-so they do not get rewarded for doing so!
fine line though uncomfortable and what a dog feels as pain...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
If a dog jumps at you, and you raise your knee, any force is not controlled by the owner, so much as the dog's force as it jumps. If the dog jumps heavy/hard then it is more likely to be hurt than if it jumps slowly or gently.

It would also depend on how the knee was raised - if it was raised so it was almost under the dog's rib cage that would really hurt. If it was raised more as a defence, that would be much less likely to hurt IMO.

Wys
x
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »