View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I have 5 permanent resident dogs and currently have 2 others one part time and one full time but as a temporary arrangement.
For me breed size etc. doesn't really come into it at all, it comes down to time. The full time temporary dog is another Dobie but he has issues which are being worked on, so takes up a lot of my time and I have to be on my toes all the time which is blinkin' tiring.
Space and money are not an issue but time is the deciding factor.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 04:46 PM
I am personally happy at 3. I would struggle to afford to keep another dog, the insurance and training costs being the main drains.

I would also struggle to find the time to spend with each dog on a 1-2-1 basis. Having a fourth would also mean I would have to get another car (current one isnt quite big enough but all 3 can lie down snugly together, a fourth simply wouldnt fit) which i'm happy to do as I dislike my current motor, it's just a ball ache selling it!

I think if you're retired or have your days to yourself and have no money worries then the sky is the limit I suppose. As long as each dog gets the time and dedication it deserves then have as many as you like.
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I want 3 when I'm older, I'm pretty sure I can cope with that (providing I'm alright financially). Parents say while I still live under their roof it's no more than one.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I always had two dogs but a few years ago went up to three and this weekend I gained my fourth

I will stick with four as it's a nice round number. I have 2 Mini Schnauzers and 2 Labradoodles - if I had only big dogs I think I would have 3 maximum.

If all my dogs were like my old Mini Schnauzer Daisy I could have 5 or 6 with no problems - she was small, quiet and obedient ....... unlike my current hoodlums
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 06:57 PM
1 is just enough for me!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I can barely cope with my oh-so-hyper one I think perhaps when I'm a little older, in a better position financially & job-wise & Molly is a little more grown up, I would like another small dog to keep her company but I don't think I could personally manage any more than 2 or 3 at a time!

That said, my friend has had 13 dogs at one time in the past, 5 of her own and 8 long-term(ish) boarding but she lives on a farm & shares the care of the dogs 50/50 with her mum.

I suppose it all comes down to how much money you have available to care for them & how well you can meet their individual needs
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:30 PM
We've had 2 for the past 11 years - just got a 3rd.

If you're asking me right now how many is too many - I'd say 3 !!!!!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:31 PM
I have three and am hoping to have a 4th next year. I love having them about even if it is chaos sometimes!! I would not have more than 4, well not living here, maybe if I won the lottery and then I would have 6.
I think you have to give them all daily individual attention, comfortably feed them and pay out on vet bills, if you can't do that, you have too many
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 08:15 PM
We have always had at least 2 dogs, I don't think I could have just one

If all of the above mentioned things were OK then I would have a pack of at least 5 But I have to say they would all be small dogs, I don't think I would have that many if they were big 'uns
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 08:31 PM
I think it's really at least a 3 part answer:

1. how many dogs can you responsibly afford? By this I mean enough financial stability to buy good quality food, pay insurance, take into account any and all necessary vaccinations and have a back-up fund for calamities and added necessities

2. How much time (realistically) do you have to spend with each dog? Not only to go out walking but also for individual training and dealing with specific behavioral problems.. whether or not you have (young) children in your household is a big issue with this question I think....

3. Only then does the issue of house size come into it as far as I'm concerned....

For us right now, with all that's going on, 1 is the perfect number.... in a few years time when the children are older (all thing remaining equal on the other fronts)... 2, maybe 3, maybe 4.... only time will tell...
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >